Brake caliper paint

rob89

Hi all

So I'm in the process of changing my discs and pads at the moment - have pretty much everything I need and now just waiting for a dry weekend so I can do it out on the drive!

I figure whilst everything's off the car I might paint the brake calipers and the shields that sit behind the disc, but I'm wandering what type of paint to use... I've been recommended hammerite smooth, but I've noticed that hammerite also do a "high temperature" range which leads me to think that maybe the normal stuff it not suitable for excessive temperatures.

Has anyone else used this stuff and is it any good? Will the normal hammerite be enough or will it just burn off when the brakes heat up? Have tried hunting around google but I can't find anything that says what it's maximum operating temperature is.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

Thanks for the advice all, think i'll give hammerite smooth a try. Slightly alarmed by how long it takes to dry though, can it really take 48 hours?! It says touch dry in an hour or something on most of the info about it, and i know it's cold at the moment but surely it can't take more than 2-3 hours? It's not essential that i paint them this time round, just figured it'd be easier whilst the discs are off. I've grown quite fond of the idea of nice gloss black calipers... :(

Thanks for the advice all, think i'll give hammerite smooth a try. Slightly alarmed by how long it takes to dry though, can it really take 48 hours?! It says touch dry in an hour or something on most of the info about it, and i know it's cold at the moment but surely it can't take more than 2-3 hours? It's not essential that i paint them this time round, just figured it'd be easier whilst the discs are off. I've grown quite fond of the idea of nice gloss black calipers... :(

Hammerite dries quicker but that other paint I mentioned deffo took more than 24 hours to dry :/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.