GEN4: As 2nd car - Do i SORN during the Winter?

chan110

GEN4: As 2nd car - Do i SORN during the Winter?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. To SORN or NOT to SORN?

• SORN it - u have a 1st daily car
    • SORN! its a GEN4!!!
    • Dont SORN - Its not worth the money (even on classic insure)
    • Dont SORN - Drive it as ORC/Bill wud..whn it snows?!!
    • OTHER - Pls explain!

Wayne thinks I'm his bitch :rolleyes:

love to Bill...but i already have one whos a bit more qualified thn u are :-)

Who said I was out? ;)

:lol:

u did!

remember?

knock knock...

"Whos there?"

"Wayne!"

"Wayne who?"

"Its Chan110!"

"No ones in!"

I suppose only you can decide if it's worth the saving to SORN it, all you would be saving is a few months Tax as i presume you would still want to have it insured in case of theft/damage while in storage

As said, keep it road legal, but just stick it on axle stands and get a battery conditioner, would only take 10 mins to stick the battery back on and take it off the stands

I suppose only you can decide if it's worth the saving to SORN it, all you would be saving is a few months Tax as i presume you would still want to have it insured in case of theft/damage while in storage

As said, keep it road legal, but just stick it on axle stands and get a battery conditioner, would only take 10 mins to stick the battery back on and take it off the stands

Can i ask where u got ur battery conditioner?

if battery is disconnected...is tht not gud enuff on its own?

i was hopin to cancel insurance as well....

Hooo no mate leave it insured incase of theft or damage as Derren said,

I would leave it totaly rd legal for the sake of 6 months tax

And 6 months clasic can't be that much mine was only £154 for the whole year

Classic insurance = £190

tax = £235?

refund = £60? + £115 = £175

plus no petrol usage...saving over £200/yr?

Tht wud pay for a new roof or new exhaust over 2years?

Shaun - u kno the extent of my DIY skills....its not gona look right...

with lose mudguards....missing side trims....popups cant close and possibly..

windows cant close whn driving out in the sun thn...

..coming back in the rain - lol :-)

i want to SORN it.

but thn again i might let this POLL determine for me.....

my take on this.

I sorned trinity a few times, stored in a dry but aired garage. each time however it was to do work on the car.

and each time I got her back on the road I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

Cars liked to be used, its what they are designed for.

Gen 4s can be either good as gold when laid up, or a pain in the butt. First time I did it, I had a couple of electrical issues that required sorting, a temp sensor went nuts, and a sticky passenger window motor.

Using your car even say just weekends, is a much better idea than leavin it sat for 6 months, the heat cycles the car will go though will be good for all the operating parts and if there is an issue you will be able to identify straight away as you are familar with the drive off the car. dont drive it for 6 months and you will take a while to learn it again, by that I mean things like, "was that knock always there before", "did it hesitate at these revs before" etc

a Battery conditioner, like a Citec is a great idea, it keeps the battery topped up and pro longs the life of it, when you are not using your car everyday.

If you do Sorn and lay it up, I would Refresh the Coolant, flush as much crap out, and make sure you have new stuff in, to help prevent corrision in the waterways and if we get extremes of temp, any issues with freezing

also make sure the handbrake is off, and I always place some drying elements in the cabin to prevent any mould, I use the cheap stuff you get for damp bathrooms.

I also second the use of an axle stand the get your wheels up in the air, not only does it stop your tyres flat spoting, it means you can spend the winter, rust proofing the underside.

thks guys for the useful input, esp Rich.

ok....this 'was' my plan...but now may differ (like adding axle stands etc):

1. SORN RED each year btw Oct - Mar (Shaun i m not SORNing it for 2years! lol)

2. Cancel insurance for period SORN

3. Each month take out of drive and short run within private compound (a couple of 3point turns!)

4. Thn most of the time just trying to fix small things and takin trims apart to ..

...clean and troubleshoot rust or wet parts

Rich: thks for tips on handbrake/dehumidifier pouches etc.

As for underseal/coolant...these go to Martin King ....though...i may have a go at the coolant.

If RED goes on stand....thn as members mentioned here thn the preparation more drastic...

...battery conditioner....and other bits n bats....

I will see how the POLL goes....

thks again for all the input so far...much appreciated!

I've got a CTEK XS 800 battery conditioner, got it free with my subscribtion to Practical classics, it's a really good piece of kit, keep it connected to my MX5 during winter, does the job perfectly, now I've finished restoring my MK1 Cortina GT, I'm gonna by another one for that, Celica don't need one cos it's used every day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.