Remove Rad bottle

I thought it allowed the rad to 'breathe' so excess coolant can be dumped into the bottle and sucked back into the system as needed. I have mime topped up between the max/min marks and have noticed it varies alot after each drive. I suspect if you block it up you may build pressure somewhere and that can't be good for various seals etc.

Edited by Joecard71

I thought it allowed the rad to 'breathe' so excess coolant can be dumped into the bottle and sucked back into the system as needed. I have mime topped up between the max/min marks and have noticed it varies alot after each drive. I suspect if you block it up you may build pressure somewhere and that can't be good for various seals etc.

x2

your rad cap will have a 2 way valve in it .If you remove the bottle it will blow out water as it heats up and expands and then when cooling it will suck in air

he has tie wrapped in up to stop it taking air back in .You may get away with it if you go for a normal rad cap which relieves under pressure but not under vacuum when its cooling .Am guessing the relief pressure would need to be higher than the standard cap too.

It really isn’t a good idea to remove or cut down your expansion bottle, its there for a good reason.

As the coolant heats up it expands and the radiator cap controls the pressure and the expanded fluid is transferred to the catch tank but it doesn’t stop there.

As the engine cools and coolant contracts the excess fluid is then siphoned back in to the coolant system so keeping the coolant within the engine at its correct level.

With out this tank and open to the elements the engine will eventually and quickly run out of coolant so causing untold amounts of damage.

If you where to completely seal the system you will end up blowing a hose or radiator or what ever the weakest part of the system is and again causing all sorts of damage.

So it is important and really not a good idea to remove this tank. Dorris

Just to add, if you do move the tank and use an alternative bottle make sure the new bottle has the same capacity to accept the same amount as the old one.

The more horse power you gain and the more you work you engine the more heat it will produce and more to expand so be aware of this and don’t forget to make sure your siphon tube reaches to the bottom of the bottle.

Why people would want to disconnect or blank off the expansion tank is beyond me, your just asking for trouble. Dorris

Edited by Dorris

• 2 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia....rmal_expansion.

I can speak from personal experience what happens when you seal the water system. A friend of mine bought a header tank system which had a fully sealing cap. Because he'd bought it, he didn't believe me when I told him it needed a pressure relief / equalisiation system. I was proved right the first time he drove the car hard and burst the new radiator he'd just fitted.

You could leave the expansion overflow open, but you will find the water level will always be low.

Edited by _Chris_

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.