Bulge on tyre wall? Pothole?

Hey all, driving home on Friday afternoon, about a mile from home, there was some road works on route.

Unfortunately for me I hot a pot hole, it was huge, I'd say it's the biggest I've ever had the pleasure of meeting with!

Anyway, yesterday, came out of a restaurant with the mrs, walking to the car and noticed and egg/ bulge on the tyre wall.

Never thought it was caused by the pothole but it layer dawned on me.

Where might I stand with this?

I've heard of people claiming from the council for damages, just never know how you go about this?

Can anyone give any info on this?

For the record, I wasn't speeding/ going faster than I should, didnt fancy swerving As there was a curb one side and a mini island the other

Cheers guys

Ross

Hope you've changed the wheel

Yes quite likely was the pothole. Go back and take some pics, take tape measure or use credit card or whatever to show the depth of the hole and any sharp ridge

Also take showing position so stand a few paces back and show view up road (this will be proof of its location)

The contact Highways tomorrow and they will send you relevent forms

Would strongly suggest you get the wheel checked for buckling at local tyre centre , if you are getting a new tyre on there straight away they will be able to tell you when it is on the machine. Dont forget to keep the old tyre

If you are using spare for the mo , take it in and get them to spin it up on the machine

I had two ruined Oz wheels due to potholes but had thought it was only the tyres at the time becuase they didnt look buckled :(

You need the date and location that the incident happened - also a photograph of the pothole with something in it to show scale helps. I can't remember off hand just what size the pothole needs to be to be considred as such but something about the depth of the size of a can of cola is coming to mind.

You then report it to your local council - not sure if you could actually claim for the damage via your insurance company and they would in turn then claim from the council. . . . .

-

Pretty sure someone in the proper know will be along shortly :D

Or just read the post above, curse my slow fingers :doh: lol

Edited by keef-b

Agree with Arizona on this. In my driving experience I've had a few tyres and wheels wrecked by potholes. Contact Highways Agency or local council for relevant claim forms.

Photos and something to gauge a scale of size is also a must.

It is always worth every now and then checking your tyres for any damage just by jacking the car up and spinning the wheel. I recently had a tyre that had lots of tread on it but when I spun it, it looked more like a 50 pence. That was because of a cheap brand of tyre.

The down side is that there has to be at least one previous reported incident about the same location/pothole etc before they consider paying out. This is due to highways stating that they need notice and time to repair the road before it being them at fault. HTH.

The down side is that there has to be at least one previous reported incident about the same location/pothole etc before they consider paying out. This is due to highways stating that they need notice and time to repair the road before it being them at fault. HTH.

:bs:

I'm talking from experience from work here Rossd, I don't just put up random "BS" posts for the sake of it ;)

The pothole needs to have been reported by someone else in order for them to have "known" about it. If they payout it's pretty much because it's been previously reported and that they have not sorted it.

Edited by Smally

I've claimed from them myself when I managed to beach my car in a rut in a damned disabled space. I sent a message to the council saying about how my mum's disabled and with it being the side she would have got out of and the sheer size of it (Chichester South Street disabled places opposite Iceland if anyone local knows it) told them about the fact I'd wrecked a 2 week old alloy because of it and got a letter straight back apologising and a 300 quid cheque to cover the cost of a refurb

Couldn't complain about that lol

Just make sure you lay it on nice and thick about how it's a danger (cyclists etc)

To be fair to them though it was fixed by the next day so I guess they did something right although it shouldn't have got to that state in the first place

I don't like it when they fix the roads I managed to get a 4 inch crack in my windscreen because of it :(

Thanks for the replies guys, great help. Already taken some pics but never thought of using something to scale it, there are two road signs up, 'caution raised roadworks' and 'caution no road markings'.

I'm sure someone else must have complained as its a busy ish road, happened to my brother too on the same hole so I think his girlfriend is going to complain, 2 people from the same family may look suspicious, (they share the care so they're not exactly hiding anything.

Noticed it has flattened the wheel a bit too! Will try take to a garage tomorrow!

Then get in touch with highways agency

Thanks again guys

if it was fixed the next day then PERFECT! it means it was reported and they done nothing about it so they will HAVE to pay out. The ones they dont pay out on are the ones that were not reported so they couldnt possibly do anything about it since they didnt know it existed.

They have an aim in which they will repair all potholes within a certain time frame of them being reported. If its outwith this timeframe (which they usually all are) then your quids in....well not really since yout just claiming what it would cost you to fix because it was their fault.

potholes.co.uk and fillthathole.org.uk explain all the steps necessary to put in a claim.

Thanks for the replies guys, great help. Already taken some pics but never thought of using something to scale it, there are two road signs up, 'caution raised roadworks' and 'caution no road markings'.

I'm sure someone else must have complained as its a busy ish road, happened to my brother too on the same hole so I think his girlfriend is going to complain, 2 people from the same family may look suspicious, (they share the care so they're not exactly hiding anything.

Noticed it has flattened the wheel a bit too! Will try take to a garage tomorrow!

Then get in touch with highways agency

Thanks again guys

Roundabout near the Harvester at Morley by any chance? Saw a huge pothole there this morning and the amount of people that drove down it was untrue!

That's the one mate, got some pics on my iPhone, can I upload straight from my iPhone to Ccuk or do I have to use my computer?

It's been filled in now, how may that effect things?

Ross

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.