Dilema, what to do

just got my GT4 and now ive been told im getting sent to work in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Cypres :) its only for 3-4 months but not sure what i should do with my car ? choices are:

1: keep it parked up for for the duration ?

2: sell it and buy another when i get back ?

just wondering if there is anything i should do if im going to store it for that lengh of time ?

thoughts and advice needed please folks !!!!!!

Your asking the question so its pretty obvious you feel attached to it so keep it for sure! Declare it SORN & its something to look forward to when you return from Cyprus :thumbs:

EDIT: Forgot to say, leave it on a trickle charge, make sure its clean & covered, try to get a garage, leave the handbrake off & put bricks infront & behind the wheels to make sure it doesnt roll away.

Edited by harv_j

If it was my car and I was in your situation, I would get it a nice snug cover, and do the stuff Harv advised :)

I would then take a picture of my car and keep it in a picture frame and leave it on my bedside table lol.

Edited by RoryK

I personally would remove the wheels and stick on axel stands so they do not get flat spots.

Or just leave it with me and I will run it for you

it would kill me to sell her, so think thats the case. im on an army camp so no chance of getting it in a garage :( but will get a cover and disconect the battery. declare it sorn. what about fuel, leave it with a bit in or as little as poss ? same as oil its been done about 1000 miles ago will that be ok ? only good news is that not spending money for a few months meens i'l have some money to spend on her. bushes and links will be top priority then some new suspension. im leaning towards coil overs. a harsh ride dont bother me :) lol

I personally would remove the wheels and stick on axel stands so they do not get flat spots.

Or just leave it with me and I will run it for you

just had a txt from my mate, he's just said the same thing. but will he let warm up properly before opening her up ? and only let her drink v-power ?

Depends how much you bought it for?

How much it's realistically worth?

Isit special? Would you be able to buy another one similar?

I'd personally just pack it up and give it a home for a few months, i couldn't be arsed with trying to sell and then buy another one a few months later

It will be parked up on the square or some designated parking spot , and while your away the parking area will no doubt be needed for something else or they will change the parking rules on camp , and someone from the QM`s will move it with a forklift .

Best bet give the keys to someone you trust so they can move it or ask a pad to garage it for you , worse case sell up .

Oh yeah , enjoy Cyprus .

Edited by crabman

Yeah seen someones car moved with forklift and ruined when battalion was deployrf to Iraq - also seen many cars wrecked by so called trusted mates who said they would take it out once a week to keep it in good nick.

Park it as near to guard room as poss so its less at risk from pissheads wrecking it.

The wifes was stood for 4 months and perfectly fine when we got it started again

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_565261_langId_-1_categoryId_165611

decent cover but best to pick up a couple of cotton sheets (i got some from charity shop) that stops any movement of the cover rubbing the paint

for 3/4 months is relatively short time so prob just take the battery off

fuel i usually fill up and add special additive to keep it fresh, but saying that i would be storing car for up to six months so maybe not necessary. The reason for not draining the car of coolant/fuel or anything is to avoid probs with condensation

being on axle stands will save getting a flat spot on tyres

LEAVE THE HANDBRAKE OFF :D or it will no doubt seize up

make sure it is clean under the cover, if can give it a good wax/polish and clean interior

stick a dish (or put in ashtray and leave open) some bicarbonate of soda crystals. That will absorb any odours

cheers for the help guys, think im gonna let my mate look after it, he only uses it at weekends as he has his works van, mot runs out month before im back so he's gonna pop it in a garage and let me know the outcome. tax runs out the same as the mot. its gonna get a load of bushes replaced and some coilovers fitted when i get back :) get the handling sorted out then look at getting some defects sorted to the body work. after that turn me attention to the engine :) will be looking at about 400bhp dont want to go mad lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.