hex key size for tech 5

got some tech 5 wheels i am planning to get powder coated and want to remove the decorative studs, but need a hex key, called into local place and they only sold them in sets for about £27.00. does anyone know the size and where to get one??

Yeah but that comes with the nuts/bolts to fit those inserts. I might be wrong, but 99% of alloy wheels don't come with metal studs, they're usually plastic. I've learnt this the hard way, trust me! I do stand to be corrected though

Doh, just realised they mean actual wheel bolts! I'd still check if those are plastic little screws though. Not had enough sleep this week

jo3, are the studs metal or plastic, and u must surely have the right tool to get these off. (u got everything else, lol)

So you're keeping them bud :thumbs:

This CAS coatings, do they shot peen anything or just wheels?

think they can do anything, bearing in mind they use a hot oven so obviously nothing that will melt

So you're keeping them bud :thumbs:cos one has been straightened few people interested were a bit concerned and i dont wanna sell em and then find out their not right, option 1. get some tyres on and test em myself, if ok will have to get tyres back off, powder coat and put tyres back on. option2. bite the bullet and get em powder coated, then get tyres on , option 3, take em somewhere to test they are ok before doing anything.

This CAS coatings, do they shot peen anything or just wheels?

got some tech 5 wheels i am planning to get powder coated and want to remove the decorative studs, but need a hex key, called into local place and they only sold them in sets for about £27.00. does anyone know the size and where to get one??

The bit you need is a triple square bit (I was lucky and had one laying around in my toolbox).

The bolts are not screwed in, they are push in. Once there out though, you'll have to have them glued back in.

TripleSquare.jpg

Bolts from the wheel:

Bolts.jpg

Wheel.jpg

Daz

The bit you need is a triple square bit (I was lucky and had one laying around in my toolbox).

The bolts are not screwed in, they are push in. Once there out though, you'll have to have them glued back in.

TripleSquare.jpg

Bolts from the wheel:

Bolts.jpg

Wheel.jpg

Daz

where can i get one of these from?

So if they are pushed in how did you get them out?

Are they metal? Is so we can just powder coat over them?

I just turn the bolts backwards and forwards until they where free to turn, then I used the bit, tilted it slightly in the bolt and pulled up and twisted. Once the bolt was enough out, I could get it with my hands. Hope this makes sense.

I'm not sure what material they are, but the back of them are soft (you can see it in the images above).

I'm not sure regarding the powder coating, I know when I'll be getting my wheels refurbed, I'll be taking all these bolts out, just because I want them to stay silver.

Daz

where can i get one of these from?

Not sure mate, I would measure the diameter of the bolt and search for a triple square bit.

Daz

Am I losing the plot slightly here, Those so called bolts look more like a decorative rivet or sometimes called a rivbolt. I'm sure they are meant for a 1 use only, By removing them by turning them backwards and forwards you have actually broached the hole out to a larger diameter and worn the splines on the bolt so the chances of the rivbolts staying in place when refitted are greatly.diminshed.

Am I losing the plot slightly here, Those so called bolts look more like a decorative rivet or sometimes called a rivbolt. I'm sure they are meant for a 1 use only, By removing them by turning them backwards and forwards you have actually broached the hole out to a larger diameter and worn the splines on the bolt so the chances of the rivbolts staying in place when refitted are greatly.diminshed.

Thats right mate, they are decorative. I didn't actually know what they were called.

One of the guys at the wheel refurb place said he would just glue them back in, however if I could locate some new rivets / rivbolts, I would go down this route instead.

Daz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.