What came in the Post Today?

c.a.r.

That Meguiars Gold Class shampoo looks empty unless you have already tried it I bought the same stuff a few weeks ago and the bottle I got was full to the top, great stuff though leaves the car with a great streak free finish and smells very nice.

I had to hacksaw my old ones off. The part where the ball goes into the tailgate is very flimsy.

it's funny you should say that, cos after applying as much considerable pressure as i dared using an open-end 12mm spanner i could feel the nut would round off, so i hacksawed the old strut off so i could use a 12mm socket, a really good fit too, but it rounded off anyway.

Toyota must of employed a gorilla in the factory wrenching them on at 1000 Nm.

I'll try again tomorrow using a pair of vice-grips, they look a big big for the job, just hope the jaws can fit in the gap.

For the time-being i now have a one-strut tailgate...

it's funny you should say that, cos after applying as much considerable pressure as i dared using an open-end 12mm spanner i could feel the nut would round off, so i hacksawed the old strut off so i could use a 12mm socket, a really good fit too, but it rounded off anyway.

Toyota must of employed a gorilla in the factory wrenching them on at 1000 Nm.

I'll try again tomorrow using a pair of vice-grips, they look a big big for the job, just hope the jaws can fit in the gap.

For the time-being i now have a one-strut tailgate...

Can't you just fit the new struts onto the balls or are they the pre fitted type.

They are fitted with a lock thread solution, warm the area up with a heat gun or hair drier and use a quality spanner like a Snap On or MAC Tools.

Cheap open end spanner's will just round them off.

I didn't replace the ball joints, I just clipped the new ones on.

The old ones i have don't come out of the ball joint, i tried that.

How can you re-use the old ball joint if you hacksawed them?

They are fitted with a lock thread solution, warm the area up with a heat gun or hair drier and use a quality spanner like a Snap On or MAC Tools.

Cheap open end spanner's will just round them off.

They also round off using a well fitted socket, i didn't damage them at all with a spanner.

I explained a little clearer in my mod thread but basically you hacksaw the part of the strut that connects to the ball joint in 2 places at about 45 degrees and then prize it off the ball joint.

The old ones i have don't come out of the ball joint, i tried that.

How can you re-use the old ball joint if you hacksawed them?

They also round off using a well fitted socket, i didn't damage them at all with a spanner.

I just asumued the initial use of open end spanner might have slightly rounded the points.

Of the large numbers of struts I have removed from Celica lids I have always used heat and an open end spanner and never had to cut one off or use a socket.

I hacksawed though the ball shaft itself, so now committed to getting it out and using the replacement.

Will try some wd40 + heat + vice grips

Ahh I see now..like splinter said a good bit of heat should do the trick hopefully.

Good luck and hope u get the new ones on soon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.