Will this mix of gadgets work?

KrisSilver

I've got a Pioneer AVH-3300BT unit which I don't think I'm reaping the benefits from enough and am looking at adding a few gadgets. Would all of these work in combination:

USB Splitter

Some of these say OS required but it should just split the signal and cater then for more than one USB input?

Reverse Camera

Figured I may as-well get one of these over just a beeping one as I have the screen already. Should this work ok and are they difficult to wire up?

Digital TV Receiver

Even if you don't use the TV lots (maybe the odd music channel) the Digital signal for that and radio stations seems appealing. Could you plug this in via USB ok, and this appears to have an antenna included so should be good to go?

As with lots of dream gadgets and eBay ad's it's probably deeply flawed but this would be great. Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated. B)

I highly doubt the usb splitter would work, signal doesn't get split without direction from an o/s as far as I'm aware. I stand to be corrected though.

a>

Going off the back of the unit, a video feed would be no issue. It'd need to be a camera that's got a generic a/v output so it'd be a constant feed into the head unit but I'd imagine you'd be able to select this as and when you need it. I also imagine the camera would need a constant power supply...so figuring out if you could go straight from the battery with a cable or if it'd need to come off a splice into the lighter...I dunno, depends on the power it needs I suppose?

Can't see an issue with digital TV...never tried this or read about it though so no idea....good luck, all sounds very swish :)

:lol: applying for the TV licence would be funny.

reverse cameras should work no probs. i think they just wire into the reverse light for the power and plug into the head unit. that way it comes on when you hit reverse (and the reverse light comes on).

gotta drill a hole in the bumper tho...

Hmmmm, not too convinced by any of that, ok the camera will work but would you not prefer something more subtle rather than a chrome lump?

Digital tuner, not convinced it's up to the job for mobile application and as for USB, you got no chance.

USB splitter, likely to get conflicts or at best problems with 5v power supply loss on one or other device.

Hmmmm, not too convinced by any of that, ok the camera will work but would you not prefer something more subtle rather than a chrome lump?

:lol:

i didn't even look at the link... that thing is fugly.

you can get little cameras that subtley mount in the rear bumper which would be much better

I looked into this, its a MADE IN CHINA SPECIAL, and its a DVB-T

If its DVB-T it wont receive UK Freeview HD channels, it needs to be DVB-T2 but that's not an issue if you only want standard definition channels which It will possibly receive, but cant say for sure ;)

My mate had one of these I think which worked okay as far as I remember

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Digital-DVB-T-Freeview-TV-Tuner-MPEG-2-Receiver-Box-Antenna-USB-REMOTE-/290646491239?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item43abe18067#ht_2090wt_1037

USB Splitter probably won't work, I know my dad was trying to get multiple pen-drives to work off the USB socket in his Insignia. He has to take the live wire and make it switchable between ports, even then it didn't work very well.

Best way to reap the benefits of that Headunit?

Get an iPhone.

Cheers for the comments fella's. The USB splitter was only a couple of quid so I've got it anyway. Even if it doesn't work at all in the car I'll find a use for it.

I'm still looking around for camera's, need one with a light and I could possibly put it in the silver mesh on my bumper.

As for the digital tv receiver, I'm not clear any can work just via the USB? The stereo doesn't have SCART.

USB freeview as in powered by USB or purely runs off USB? If its meant to run off USB, then no it work wont as the software obviously wont go into your HU, if just powered then you'll be fine. Better off with a standalone unit, then you can then use an AV in on the back of the HU to hook it up. Remember though the signal will be shite most of the time!

USB splitter is OK for powering maybe, but not for actual data into the HU.

Do what I did get a large SD card, OK so the initial scan when you start is alittle long (full 32GB takes about 15 seconds) but its discreet, no moving parts, and the 32GB at £17 from Play is cheap aswell. I got a card reader for like £1 off eBay aswell for my older computer that is full of music

Edited by Chris CW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.