are gen 7s really that bad?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh looney, what are you thinking! :xmas_ohmy:

Tbh, the Gen 7 t sport i test drove the other day was a really nice car to drive, Performance was very close to the Gen 6 GT.

If your happy with the performance of yours then you'll like a 190, Lift is a nice kick but short lived unless you proper rag it :xmas_biggrin:

The 7 is slightly more comfortable mainly due to seats, Road holding on the standard t sport was better than my 6 on Koni's and apex springs, 7 corners on rails :xmas_biggrin:

I know it's down to personal taste but i think the 7 is better looking, certainly more upto date .Also with cams and induction and remap and lowered, well you get the idea :xmas_laugh:

All the above is fine, but i would say if you look after your 6 as you do then it will literally go on forever. Even if the worst happens it's so easy to fix, and yours looks great!!!!

Last but not least, What can you get for yours, horrid i know but i aint got anyone ringing on mine :xmas_sad:

Oh looney, what are you thinking! :xmas_ohmy:

Tbh, the Gen 7 t sport i test drove the other day was a really nice car to drive, Performance was very close to the Gen 6 GT.

If your happy with the performance of yours then you'll like a 190, Lift is a nice kick but short lived unless you proper rag it :xmas_biggrin:

The 7 is slightly more comfortable mainly due to seats, Road holding on the standard t sport was better than my 6 on Koni's and apex springs, 7 corners on rails :xmas_biggrin:

I know it's down to personal taste but i think the 7 is better looking, certainly more upto date .Also with cams and induction and remap and lowered, well you get the idea :xmas_laugh:

All the above is fine, but i would say if you look after your 6 as you do then it will literally go on forever. Even if the worst happens it's so easy to fix, and yours looks great!!!!

Last but not least, What can you get for yours, horrid i know but i aint got anyone ringing on mine :xmas_sad:

:werd:

Edited by tabbaranx

My prefacelift 140 has one service stamp from Toyota since new!, bought it at 94k miles, now has 125k and it is boosted. Drives like a dream, never had any problems and never lost an oil drop. I generally do regular oil changes and put 10mm extra oil from the max mark like Toyota suggested back in 2005.

Regarding the horror stories, i believe most of the people getting the problems are due to VERY poor maintenance.

If you get a facelift with a service book that it is fully stamped, the chance for things to go wrong is negligible.

Its not a jap car so say, sort of feels jap.

Looks ok, a few good lines.

Good on fuel, but for some reason if you nail the shit out of it for a while it feels king of poswerless after, a real lack of grunt, where as the 6 will just keep on giving.

But its not a 6 and never will be, does not feel like a 6 or a 5 for that matter.

I can live with a 7 but I'd have a 6 any day of the week. If it were not for the 500+ miles a week

The Gen 7 is OK, but lets look at a few of its issues:

Windows. They don't seem to ever seal properly.

Rust. the undersides are incredibly quick to rust up

Brakes. Pure chocolate brake discs, rear calipers seem to be made of similar.

140 engines. Lets face it, they're a really low quality engine for toyota.

Interior plastics. Fade at different rates.

Interior Trim: ohh the noise!

Alloys: 16" ones corroe and at least 2 of the others seem to pay midnight visits to Uri Geller.

190 Engines: Lift bolts anyone?

MAF Sensor issues...

Lets see Gen 6:

The aerial will at some stage die

3SGE eventually starts disliking cold starts

Handbrake cable will eventually need replacing due to seizing.

It looks like Kermit's lovechild.

Alloys: 16" ones corroe and at least 2 of the others seem to pay midnight visits to Uri Geller.

MAF Sensor issues...

Lets see Gen 6:

I don't get any of those issues, yes the brakes aren't brilliant as standard but upgrade them and they are fine. As said before cars are mechanical/electrical so whatever it is it will eventually go wrong unless you replace every bit of it.

Some people do get really defensive of the gen 7

At the end of the day it's still Toyota so more reliable than the competition, but no where near as reliable or well built as a gen 6

I agree with the mac sue comments, sine putting as on my car and a quick rack it handles 100 times better

Drive a few budy and see what you think of them

Its all a matter of opinions of course but if opinions count for anything I think you have one of the nicest looking gen6's on here, its the best colour for a start has all the right mods and is a great example of a well looked after 6, sure put it up for sale and somebody will take it off your hands no problem. Will you be as happy with a 7? who knows. They are not built as solid as the 6 thats for sure and with age catching them up the crack are starting to appear it seems to me.

What are you looking for, reliability and economy or performance and looks? You cannot have one without compromising the other.

At the end of the day it's still Toyota so more reliable than the competition, but no where near as reliable or well built as a gen 6
If you say so, i'm yet to see a gen 6 without a puddle in either it's boot or rear footrests.

This topic is doing neither the 6, the 7, or the club justice and serves absolutly no purpose.

If you say so, i'm yet to see a gen 6 without a puddle in either it's boot or rear footrests.

This topic is doing neither the 6, the 7, or the club justice and serves absolutly no purpose.

I have had4 gen 6 and never seen or heard of these puddles

i agree, i'm just not sure why gen 6 people just dont seem to like the gen 7?? they're all Toyota Celicas at the end of the day.

yeah we all like a laugh at how a gen 6 looks like a frog or a gen 7 has a hairdrier as standard in tthe boot but when people are slagging cars off they haven't driven or even sat in, well thats just crap.

it's like going on the internet to find out if you have a certain illness, you will always be able to make you think you're gonna die or be seriously ill and it's the same with cars, you will always be able to find that ANY car will have faults no matter how reliable it is supposed to be.

MAF Sensor issues...

Lets see Gen 6:

You missed out that the Gen 6 has rust problems with the wheel arches and door sills.

Ive had 2 gen 7s both have never had MAF problems, lift bolts and oil consumption are only an issue on the prefacelifts and none of my interior plastics have ever faded.

Next time you want slag off the 7s do a bit a research first fella!

Im sick of the bitching between 7 and 6s. The Gen 7 guys never slag off the gen 6 owners but the gen 6 owners are more than happy to rip into us. Were supposed to be an owners club, why is all the slaggin off going on.

I like both. Driven both and would own both. I like my gen 7 (obviously). But had a few 6's lined up before hand.

Any car has its individual faults pending on its life and how it's treated. Do a bit of research and buy the best you can afford.

At the end of the day, it's a Celica. And that's fine by me.

You missed out that the Gen 6 has rust problems with the wheel arches and door sills.

Ive had 2 gen 7s both have never had MAF problems, lift bolts and oil consumption are only an issue on the prefacelifts and none of my interior plastics have ever faded.

Next time you want slag off the 7s do a bit a research first fella!

Im sick of the bitching between 7 and 6s. The Gen 7 guys never slag off the gen 6 owners but the gen 6 owners are more than happy to rip into us. Were supposed to be an owners club, why is all the slaggin off going on.

well said!!!

again I have owned several gen 6 and seen loads more and I havent seen this rusty wheel arch you talk off

what Looney is trying to do is justify buying a gen 7, Now without anyones hairgel getting messed up the gen 7 was built cheaper than the 6 and as such the interior quality is a bit lower and the engine does suffer more reliability problems over the gen 6 (fact)

but at the end of the day Looney doesn't need to stay with a celica. and before anyone trys to lynch me I have driven all of them and I was recently in a very nice gen 7 GT but still the quality isnt as good as a 6

to looney if your really interested in staying in a celica I would go for a GT4 ( a really good one though) or buy a boosted gen 7 from one of the owners on here that way you will know what your getting

to the people with their nickers in a twist, chill out a bit. all the stuff discussed in here can easily be found with a bit of research all cars have their problems just some more than others :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.