another tyre choice topic...

Leic_1

I'm sure I've asked before, but for winter/snow tyres is it better to go for narrow tyres like 205 or go wide like 225's ?

I can't see it making much difference. I've got a set of 225 Goodyear winter tyres I used last year, and the improvement over summer tyres on ice and snow was amazing.

i used to use good year f1s,but i believe they have stopped making them now,tryed toyos and they were good but worn down to a slick tyre in 8 months of use,went off very quick,i have had budget tyres on the front before and i can tell you it was scary in the wet,you used to turn and you could feel the car slidein straight on understeer hell...never again,im running Falkens now and they seem to be very good.

wow I didn't think my post would be like tossing a hand grenade and seeing the sparks fly! thanks for the comments all.

I have a budget of £200 for 2 tyres, so loking around the Rainsport's may beyond my budget slightly. I've got friends that use FK452s on cars with 200bhp plus and they rate them, however I've been unable to find any in 205/45/R17 online. Anyone with any receommendations for online stores?

Will try calling round some tyre places at weekend though. But failing that will probably try the 912s. Grip here I come! :D

I have terrified myself on roundabouts in the wet in the Wanlis, not even going fast! Think I will stay away from chinese rubber... :unsure:

cheers

Don't know if this will sway your choice but; DO NOT BUY CHEAP RUBBER

I am 90% sure that it is down to cheap rubber that I crashed my gorgeous Mitsubishi FTO a few years back. It had been in for an MOT and service which resulted in needing new tyres at the front as they were worn. I decided to buy expensive rubber from online and the garage fitted very cheap used rubber for the meantime until I got the new tyres delivered, unfortunately that very night I crashed going round a roundabout at a speed which wasn't ridiculous and had done so many times before on the cars old rubber, so I am certain it was down to the bollocks quality of rubber. :unsure:

On a side not, I have Continental Sport Contact 2's all round on the GT with amazing levels of grip in the wet and dry :)

Please spend the extra cash and buy quality tyres!

Might just be me but I hate Uniroyals, had a set on my old Mondeo, tyre blew out on the way back from garage driving at 30mph, turned round took it straight back and they refused to replace it, said I was driving stupid.

Might have been a one off but Ill never buy them again

Good aren't they. How do you feel they stand against the Kumhos...baring in mind you're an extra inch bigger these days ;)

lol brilliant!

I feel they are better than the Kumho's in the wet and near enough same in the dry bud. They are cheaper and look better so thats another plus :)

true true, found it a bit hard to judge as they were running a bit low when I got them off you. I definitely prefer these ones now (Falkens) but then they're spanking new with oodles of tread. Threw it round a tight corner earlier in the rain (by accident actually haha, bloody lorry nearly ran me off the road!) and it hung in there, was letting me know slowly it was gonna let go which was nice of it, saved me a new front end anyway.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.