Fog Light Laws

tabbaranx

Hi Guys,

I was pondering if the laws about having front fog lights on when it's not foggy have changed since all this DRL malarkey.

I have seen alot of new cars with the bright LEDs down on the bumper where the fogs would be which are much brighter than your average fog lights.

Anyone shed any light on here (excuse the pun), im sure there are a few rozze.. I mean constables on here. :)

Edited by tabbaranx

The law hasn't changed. What it comes down to is you can't dazzle other road users - and I agree that some of these LEDs (which always, always look like they came from Poundstretcher) are way too bright.

The standard fitment ones must've passed the relevant "construction and use" tests, though.

some thing to do with whats called driving lights. i havent seen the paper work but i believe if they are white they can be classed as driving lights. all new cars now come with broken lights that are on all the time day or night and its some thing to do with that.

andy

They call it Day Running Lights and there was already a debate about this if they will ban it or not... Still no outcomes thou...

They won't ban DRLs as they are going to be compulsory on all new cars from next year. EU ruling I think.

fog lights by definition are only to be used when it's foggy.

alot of people do keep them on all the time, but i reckon it's partly cos they don't know how to turn them off :lol:

day running lights are usually dim-ish and merely illuminate the front of the car a little more than if they weren't on.

Fog lights tend to be as bright as (or brighter than) the dipped beam, and do certainly dazzle oncomming drivers.

Stick on LED lights are quite bright, but I don't think they project the same kind of light over the same distance that foglights do.

i'm no expert though.

There's all sorts of regulations governing DRLs, sidelights, foglights etc. DRLs are listed in the Lighting regs as being between 200-800 candelas; however sidelights don't have an intensity requirement aside from being "visible from a reasonable distance"!

So the differentiation is do the lights come on when the engine is on (or ignition, I forget which its supposed to be now)? If not, they're sidelights; if so, they're DRLs and the 200-800 candelas intensity rule applies.

Wikipedia says the DRL thing is indeed being enforced by EU regs for all new cars, and they've got to be in their own separate lamp units.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.