to keep or not to keep

i would have said get a gt4 right away, but i think if your taking out loans it may not be a good idea unless your happy that you might get hit with a very big bill at some point, be it clutch, suspension whatever, i bought a st205 from a freind who had maintained it regardless of cost, not sure i would have bought one otherwise. At the moment i'm prepared to accept i may get a nasty surprise at some point, they are great cars when maintained but that comes at a price and its not a car you should be stretching your budget on imo.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KEEP IT! looks awesome!

only thing i'd do tbh is get some bigger wheels to fill those arches right out and get the wheels flush with the arches. then imo you'll have a sick ass show car!

great example of less is better!

Get a GT4 while you still can.

I had a bit of a fling with fast cars a few years ago.

I had a few Nissan 300ZX's 3 litre twin turbo.

Having a fast car is a hoot, but eventually you drive at your own pace and blast it a bit when conditions allow.

Grin factor is incredible.

I went through that phase but eventually came to the conclusion that the car was only going as fast as the car in front that was holding me back.

Expensive to run too, fuel, servicing etc.

I am glad I did the fast car thing, now in a Celica 2.0 that I have owned for almost 6 years and am happy with it.

I would recommend a fast car for while, knowing you will go back to a more "normal" car later.

Be under no illusions though, buy the best you can afford and accept it may still cost lots if it goes wrong.

You are in supercar territiry and costs can rise sharply up there.

ps, I drew the line speedwise when I had a WRX Scooby in race trim.

I had swapped one car for the scooby.

Frightened myself and my girlfriend at the raw sheer power in it, promptly swapped it for a turbo Skyline which was much more manageable.

:)

Do it.

Go GT4.

hmmm mixed views there then,2 weeks ago i went for drive with my freind,and everywhere we went they was speed camaras,and i thought even if i had a turbo car rite now i couldnt do anything without getting points,ive had other times when people have over taken me and gone off only to end up in a traffic jam up ahead and got no where,all these things just make me think is it worth it? i know it sounds stupid as well,but when i get a faster car over take me i see it as more of a challege.

... but when i get a faster car over take me i see it as more of a challenge.

So get a loan, get a GT4, get left standing by a Skyline. Never ending story, unfortunately.

If I was you I'd not put myself in debt trying to reach an unobtainable dream.

(Having said that, I get fwed up of cars once I hace them sorted how I want them ... I know it's time for a change when I do things to the car that it doesn't really need ...)

problem is there is always someone faster, the problem seems mostly to be in your head lol.

my mate was saying the same thing about someone always having a faster car than you,even if i had a gt4,but i said to him yer but at least id have more of a chance..what do you mean mostly in my head lol ??

Question: Is your GT the fastest car you've owned?

Answer: Yes? then take action now before they become even more collectable and you can't possibly afford one. If you don't you will regret it everytime you see one. There goes the car i almost bought :angry::(

Answer: No? How much will you get for your current machine :unsure:

How much will you need to borrow? And can you afford another £100 a month on top,(fuel, Increase insurance and unexpected repairs) You really need to answer yes to this, Or else the formentioned sleepless nights.

As for missing the car you got now GT4 will comfort you :huglove:

As long as it's not an unmanageable loan for you then yeah go for it. Like people say you only live once, just keep a contingency fund aside for worst case scenario.

There will always be somebody faster true but your not aiming for the fastest car on the road are you?unsure.gif but with GT4 your probably up there with the top 15% anyway so you do not have nothing to prove to anybody.

Question: Is your GT the fastest car you've owned?

Answer: Yes? then take action now before they become even more collectable and you can't possibly afford one. If you don't you will regret it everytime you see one. There goes the car i almost bought :angry::(

Answer: No? How much will you get for your current machine :unsure:

How much will you need to borrow? And can you afford another £100 a month on top,(fuel, Increase insurance and unexpected repairs) You really need to answer yes to this, Or else the formentioned sleepless nights.

As for missing the car you got now GT4 will comfort you :huglove:

when i was younger i got myself in a bit debt,thats say 14 grand in debt to be honest,i had to take a big loan out,i still own 3 half grand and it ends in dec next year,i would have to borrow 4 grand on top so would take me up to about 8 grand over 3 years probs,i dont really have any out goings as i still live with my folks for now and i do have alot spending money normally each month,so i could afford the re payments no prob as im already paying 300 quid a month back now,i had a gt4 wrc gen 6 before for 3 months then lost my job and thats why i sold it,that was the fastest car i had ever had,i had to go back to the gt,the other thing is im no mechanic,do you have to be to own a gt4 would you say? i guess it would help a hell of alot,however i do know a guy who builds race cars and he does any work for me hes really handy

Edited by looney

when i was younger i got myself in a bit debt,thats say 14 grand in debt to be honest,i had to take a big loan out,i still own 3 half grand and it ends in dec next year,i would have to borrow 4 grand on top so would take me up to about 8 grand over 3 years probs,i dont really have any out goings as i still live with my folks for now and i do have alot spending money normally each month,so i could afford the re payments no prob as im already paying 300 quid a month back now,i had a gt4 wrc gen 6 before for 3 months then lost my job and thats why i sold it,that was the fastest car i had ever had,i had to go back to the gt,the other thing is im no mechanic,do you have to be to own a gt4 would you say? i guess it would help a hell of alot,however i do know a guy who builds race cars and he does any work for me hes really handy

ouchie ouchie, this

8 grand over 3 years is high payments each month

are you still going to be living at home for the next few years? you say 'for now' a lot can change and thats a big lot of money :(

plus 3 grand of that is part of a loan taken out to pay off debt, so now added to what you want to buy the car to pay that loan off too , thats nuts :unsure:

Edited by arizona

ouchie ouchie, this

8 grand over 3 years is high payments each month

are you still going to be living at home for the next few years? you say 'for now' a lot can change and thats a big lot of money :(

plus 3 grand of that is part of a loan taken out to pay off debt, so now added to what you want to buy the car to pay that loan off too , thats nuts :unsure:

loads people own money and take out loans for cars tho?

Ok in light of new info, Pay off the existing loan first. It's not like you gotta drive round in a slow old shed!

Once paid take out new loan as you can afford. Buy GT4 and make me very jealous :o

Yeah it would seriously help to be a mechanic, but come on you got us guys B)

CAF!

loads people own money and take out loans for cars tho?

I can count a few i know on my fingers and most who have done so have regretted it though, the others i reckon did but never mentioned it. Nearly all were paying for their loans still long after the cars had gone

Not going to advise you which way to go, but GT4s are cheap right now...I can see the price dropping further for a year or two (I think we'll see £1000 ST205s before long), then, they'll get bought by boy racers, not get looked after correctly and end up being scrapped (and many are getting bought by breakers) a lot will meet their demise either way, then I think they may start becoming more collectable and the prices will go up in a big hurry......so IMO, no rush right now, there will be GT4s around for a long time yet at affordable prices.

If I were you I.d do a 3sgte swap into yours as it looks very nice...be faster than a GT4 then and you can do that a bit at a time over a few years

could someone advise me on what route id have to go down if i did the conversion? ie- what parts id need etc,and would i have to fit a gt4 bonnet? for the air flow and cooling,how much do you think it would cost?

engines can be had cheap , but you need a bigger brake set up and ideally a gearbox and lsd off a mr2 turbo - been done before

Id personally go for V6 power

quite like the idea of a v6 lump as well,what would be easyer out of the two? as for brakes i have ebc groove and drilled with green stuff pads and same on back would that not be good enough,or do i need bigger calipers? do the gt4 ones fit straight on ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.