wonder how many horses we lose over the years?

rickstar20000

just curious really... must be a few each year?

just asking cos had a nice blat down the motorway with a 52' plate 2.0l gti.. was close and was level up to 115 then my little ol' brum brum pulled away.. not sure what the power output on the golf is but was expecting it to beat me due to the weight ratio.. did have a nice little smile on my face and gave the car a pat on the back for its hard work..lol

sorry for the ramble like i said just interested into what power we lose over the years.. mine is 17yrs old now but pulls like a mad thing.

must get it dyno'd just to see.

Varies on how well the cars been looked after I imagine. My last GT had 148k on the clock and the acis kicked like an absolute motherfucker, kept VERY easily with a mini cooper S which are supercharged at 170bhp. So was doing well! My current one feels a bit faster and more responsive now I've put the induction kit on it, will be better once it's serviced from top to bottom too. Last one was part service history and newer one is pretty much FTSH...so, impossible to say really.

well assuming that mine had the 190 it's meant to when it was new (it wouldn't have though would it!!) ,when i put mine on our dyno at work last year it had 182, so that 1 bhp per year as it's a 52 plate.

Same here, my car is 18 years old and lost about 20 bhp, so about 1 a year, but i do have a fresh new engine to put in soon

And Rick, maybe the other guy just backed off at 115 on this private racetrack of yours wink.gif

Same here, my car is 18 years old and lost about 20 bhp, so about 1 a year, but i do have a fresh new engine to put in soon

And Rick, maybe the other guy just backed off at 115 on this private racetrack of yours wink.gif

ha ha thats a bit harsh.. lol.. i know he didnt back off cos he came flying past me when i got to sensible speeds again.. was a golf gti.. dont know what bhp it was just that it had a stupid noisy exhaust.

well i have induction kit, superchip and exhaust so hoping im around the 170bhp mark.. is it correct that prefacelift had more bhp as standard?

have to get it dyno'd before i drop the st205 lump in it.

Mines an auto had it on the rollers last year and it only put out 86.7 at wheels BUT I found out my timing was out by 10 degrees this was fixed by Steve hall on the way home and the cars been much more responsive since, at the time Charlie at Surrey roling road estimated it roughly at 120 ish at the fly ,but I believe now mine is going to be back to manufactured estimate as 147 if not more, but ill have to get it back on the rollers to find out for sure

Mine... most of them probably :lol: I would guess even with the mods (filter, decat, EBC @ 1.1bar, well serviced) its probably around standard'ish, at least somewhere on the good side of 200. High mileage (180k) and original turbo won't help.

I was always told a good service will always improve thr house power. Don't know how true that is but my car always feels better when serviced

Remember when they had that Renault (?) people carrier thing on Top Gear a while back, trying to make it faster than the Evo? The best thing they did, power-wise, was for May to give it a service :lol:

Mines on 135k, 13 years old. Full main dealer history, been serviced on the dot every time, i'm the second owner and it's got some basic mods (for now) Exhaust, decat, air filter, decent plugs, and heat wrapped manifold and it made 156whp on the dyno.

Getting the inlet manifold and throttle body ported, and got a power deck spacer going on, so hopefully should see a couple more ponies :)

So as stated above i believe if it's been well looked after no reason why it should loose too much.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.