Breaking the car

crewcutchuck

So i'm pretty sure i have decided to break the Beams but i'm not sure how to get rid of the shell once I have taken everything off?

What do people normaly do? are there places/people that will come and collect a shell with no wheels/suspension?

Just seems like even if I sell the parts a bargain prices I will get quite a lot more than its worth as a whole :(

Any advice?

scrap metal dealers will come to you for the shell, some will even give you some cash for it

price of scrap at the moment is aroun £170 per ton, remember once you have stripped it it will weight less than a ton + they will use diesel and time to come collect

if u have a trailor u can take it and have it weiged in wont get a great deal for an empty shell but will save paying some 1 to take it away pluss extra money for u on top of the parts u sell u could make a fair bit with the parts and the shell

I thought you were entering the TSS Chris? :(

Can't justify the cost :( would love to otherwise

if u have a trailor u can take it and have it weiged in wont get a great deal for an empty shell but will save paying some 1 to take it away pluss extra money for u on top of the parts u sell u could make a fair bit with the parts and the shell

If i had a trailor and something to tow it with i prob wouldnt be getting rid of it :lol::( (mixed emotions)

Remember that you have a duty to get rid to an authorised scrap place. For a car, that means an ATF (Authorised Treatment Facility). There should be a list on the Environment Agency website somewhere. A DVLA logo on their adverts doesn't necessarily mean they're registered with them, and neither does "all paperwork taken care of" on a Gumtree listing.

Be sure to get a Certificate of Destruction from whoever picks it up - there and then, or within 24 hours usually. An ATF has access to the DVLA computer system, so they should be able to issue a CoD as soon as they've logged your car on as dead.

Otherwise the car remains your responsibility. e.g. if it gets dumped in a quarry or something, you'll have to go and get it and take it to a proper scrappy, plus you'll probably get nicked.

What you have to remember is that even with 99% of the parts removed, its still worth something to them for the scrap.

Its up to you what you take of the car as up until they put their company details on the v5, its still your car.

As such, you get to dictate what goes with it when they leave.

Check with them first, but most companies will only be concerned about how easy it is to get the shell onto their lorry. Thats why my local scrappy will pick up a rolling shell for nothing.

After its on the back of the lorry, take the wheels (and suspension) off & the jobs a good 'un.

Don't forget a few wooden blocks though, or you're never getting your jack back!

Just make sure all the bits you want are going to come off quickly otherwise you tend to get a bit of an ear-bashing from the driver. "time is money, ...got another job to go to, ...gonna have to charge you, etc, etc, etc..." yawn!

I've done it this way with the last 3 cars I've broken & believe me when I say its the most hassle free way I've found.

Nearly evert scrap man in local paper etc will take it tell them first its got no wheels and that wherever you strip it it can winched onto the low loader, usually worth 25-35 quid, but get a price on the phone first before they turn up and actually see it!!!

I did this with a celica

p110a.jpg

I still sorn it every year. You should get something for the shell due to the current scrap value. Maybe you could keep it as a rolling shell when you scrap it, hubs aren't that valuable and the rear end is usualy siezed solid so to much effort to remove.

image161j.jpg

This pile of crap made me the grand total of £200, wasnt worth breaking really as it cost me £2000! Sure you'll make more with yours though.

What you have to remember is that even with 99% of the parts removed, its still worth something to them for the scrap.

Its up to you what you take of the car as up until they put their company details on the v5, its still your car.

Scrappys are usually quite happy for you to remove anything that's not metal. I found a Prelude in one of the scrap-metal sites I regulate, and the guy let me take the entire interior out of it for free. No use to him. :)

Mate if u want rid of it when its stripped if im picking some bits ive posted about on your thread ill sort out a deal on the shell i can tell you exactly what they weigh in states and sort it with you we are also an elv so i can sort the paperwork side for ya

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.