Anybody else read this?

JPow!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now come on people- i know we all love our Celicas, and all have our favourite specific generation etc. And i know we all love our fellow ccuk members, but i'm finding some of the content i'm reading here awfully distasteful, and although i wouldn't want to fall out with anyone here, i feel i have to say something.

To be honest i'm quite shocked at some of these comments! The fact is- two unfortunate men lost their lives in an horrific accident. Yes, i know our cars mean the world to us, but they're certainly nowhere near as valuable as the lives of these men were to themselves and their loved ones.

:nono:

Rest in peace guys, i can only hope it wasn't as horrific as it looks like it could have been!

Edited by carlosbiggos

Very sad & tragic news. I really hope it was not down to stupid driving.

From the report & the image, it does appear to be a Gen 7. However the bonnet doesn't appear quite right, but the car is too much of a mess to clearly ID it from that angle.

To be honest i'm quite shocked at some of these comments!

Not quite sure what you're getting at. The thinking behind finding out the Gen & colour of the car was to see whether we could narrow it down to a Club car, and consequently a driver many of us would know personally. Is that a wierd thing to do?

The PC Copper thing was a bit of an aside. This isn't an obituary post as such, and we all know two guys died in an unpleasant way. None of us would wish that on anyone, and I'm sure no-one wishes to belittle their deaths.

Rest in piece guys

Well, that's not a very nice thing to say either.

;)

The thinking behind finding out the Gen & colour of the car was to see whether we could narrow it down to a Club car, and consequently a driver many of us would know personally.

Of course, i can understand this, but that's not the way some of these posts read. Some are distinctly lacking in tact.

The PC Copper thing didn't trouble me. All threads go off topic, and i actually found it informative. Never knew where the term came from.

As for my HORRENDOUS drunken typo- all i can do is hang my head in shame.. (and edit my post, of course).

PC Copper featured in kids' TV programme "Bod" when I was younger (i.e. 17th Century sometime), hence the catch-all term for Officers of The Law for folks of my age.

I fear you may have fallen for a bit of a myth, the word's far older than the TV programme...

From http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2209/why-are-the-police-called-cops-pigs-or-the-fuzz

Let's start with cop. Cop the noun is almost certainly a shortening of copper, which in turn derives from cop the verb. The London police were called bobbies, after Sir Robert Peel who advocated the creation of the Metropolitan Police Force in 1828. Copper as slang for policeman is first found in print in 1846, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. The most likely explanation is that it comes from the verb "to cop" meaning to seize, capture, or snatch, dating from just over a century earlier (1704).

The derivation of the verb is unclear. Most authorities trace it to the French caper and before that to the Latin capere, to seize, take. Other English words derived from capere include capture. Thus, a copper is one who seizes. An alternative theory is that to cop comes from the Dutch kapen, meaning to take or to steal.

The word "cop" has other meanings as well, all connected to "catch" or "snatch":

To "cop out" meaning to withdraw or escape, or to evade responsibility

To "cop it" meaning to be punished or get caught

To "cop a plea" is to try to catch a lesser punishment by admitting to a lesser crime

"A fair cop" means to be caught in the act.

As with many words, there are several stories floating around positing various origins, almost certainly false. The notion that cop is an acronym for "Constable On Patrol" is nonsense. Similarly, the word did not arise because police uniforms in New York (or London or wherever) had copper buttons, copper badges, or anything of the sort.

Edited by Euan

• 2 weeks later...

From the Henley Standard:

TRIBUTES have been paid to two men who were killed when their car hit a tree and burst into flames. The driver and passenger were unable to escape from the wreckage following the crash on the A4130 between Bix and Nettlebed in the early hours of Saturday.

Police have not formally identified the men but they were named by work colleagues at the Hofmanns classic car company in Henley as 26-year-old Phil Stickland and Dan Scheimann, 22.

Mr Stickland, who was nicknamed Sumo, lived in Nettlebed and was a service manager and motor sport expert at the company in Newtown Road where he had worked for about five years.

Colleagues said he had a larger than life personality. His mother lives in Caversham Park Village. Mr Scheimann, who was from Denmark, was completing a work placement at the firm as part of his studies for a degree in motorsport engineering at Coventry University.

A message posted on the Hofmanns website said: All those who knew Phil will remember his kind heart and cheeky sense of humour.

Our thanks go out to the many customers, suppliers and friends who have been in touch to let us know how much Phil meant to them, with stories of the many times he went that extra mile to do the right job. Dan was only with us for a short time but managed to make a very positive impression. He approached his work with boundless energy.

Phil, Dan, we are devastated to lose you both, you will be sorely missed.

The pair were travelling to Mr Sticklands home when the accident happened.

It is not known what time the Toyota Celica crashed but the police were called shortly after 4am.

Ambulance crews and firefighters attended but the men were pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said the bodies were so badly disfigured that dental records were being used to formally identify them.

The road was closed for eight hours and police crash investigators searched for clues to the cause of the crash.

About 15 floral tributes have been placed next to the fire-blackened tree along with cards with messages including sadly missed but never forgotten and we love you and miss you.

Another message says: This world will never be the same without you.

This was not the first fatal accident on that stretch of road.

Edited by Angus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.