My Gen6 GT sluggish

:: blade ::

Hi all had my gt for around 3weeks now gave it new plugs, oil and oil filter and new drop links front and rear, the clutch seems to slip on and off from time to time and at the mo and makes a faint grinding noise unless i press the clutch pedal,

What im wondering is, i took it out on track at castle combe yesturday and it just didnt seem to be as fast as i thought it would be :s i was behind my mate in his mk3 fiesta with a 2.0 zetec engine and i could just about keep up with him, where i thought with the power differance i should of passed him, (fiesta roughly 130-140bhp) not sure what bhp mine would be but its got decat with full s/s system and pipercross induction kit. Ive checked the ecu fault code from the diag port in engine bay with paperclip and checked that and nothing came up, what could i do to make it faster without stipping? Will be getting a clutch sorted once i have funds, hopefully its just a loss of power from that, but what else could it be?

Also i think my engine is a rev2 what bits could i add to that to make it a lil quicker?

Hope it makes sence and someone could help me out,

Cheers

Iain

Dont know been told it was a rev2 engine :s its in a 1996 facelift, the clutch is weird tbh it pulls asif its not slipping then on other times itll slip quite bad leave it A few days and itll be fine again

Its a uk spec :) my old car was a 306 with a gti6 engine in it with 162bhp and felt faster, always thought the celica would be a better car, hopefully i can get it good again

Fiesta zetec isnt that light

the celica isnt that heavy, my money would be on something mechanical on your car slowing you up, maybe sticky brakes or maybe even your clutch slipping

gen 6 all had the rev 3 3sge engine with either 175bhp pre-facelift or 168bhbp facelift

either way they are faster than a zetec

Hoping its just the clutch then, as i passed him with ease last time when i was in my pug and the only difference this yr is that hes fitted an LSD, The brakes are fine and wheels move freely, think i need to get it on the rollers to see what hp its got

Have recently changed my clutch. Before I could accelerate in a gear ok but trying to snatch a quick gear change it would slip. like you this was affected by different degrees one day to another. Now the clutch is changed (with an uprated version to boot) the power delivery is very impressive for a standard car, experiencing wheel spin on damp roads as I accelerate through 4000rpm in second. :lol:

Hi all had my gt for around 3weeks now gave it new plugs, oil and oil filter and new drop links front and rear, the clutch seems to slip on and off from time to time and at the mo and makes a faint grinding noise unless i press the clutch pedal,

What im wondering is, i took it out on track at castle combe yesturday and it just didnt seem to be as fast as i thought it would be :s i was behind my mate in his mk3 fiesta with a 2.0 zetec engine and i could just about keep up with him, where i thought with the power differance i should of passed him, (fiesta roughly 130-140bhp) not sure what bhp mine would be but its got decat with full s/s system and pipercross induction kit. Ive checked the ecu fault code from the diag port in engine bay with paperclip and checked that and nothing came up, what could i do to make it faster without stipping? Will be getting a clutch sorted once i have funds, hopefully its just a loss of power from that, but what else could it be?

Also i think my engine is a rev2 what bits could i add to that to make it a lil quicker?

Hope it makes sence and someone could help me out,

Cheers

Iain

I can do those Fiesta's all day long, how many miles has your car done? Bare in mind they are old cars now, and if it's done a few miles and/or had a hard life it's probably lost a few donkeys over time. The difference between the facelift and pre facelift is minimal, think it's like 5bhp or something..

Have recently changed my clutch. Before I could accelerate in a gear ok but trying to snatch a quick gear change it would slip. like you this was affected by different degrees one day to another. Now the clutch is changed (with an uprated version to boot) the power delivery is very impressive for a standard car, experiencing wheel spin on damp roads as I accelerate through 4000rpm in second. :lol:

I can spin mine in 5th in the wet if i want it to lol, that's due to having Nankangs which are pants in the wet..

Mines done 146k unfortunatly but the engine sounds sweet, on the track it was spinning in 4th and slipped once, just not as much power as i thought, going to be doing another service in 2k miles with engine flushed, and going to check the rotor arm in the dizzy,

Been on fensport (bad idea) and seen the superchips icon, once all sorted thinking of getting one and fitting it, also going to change the induction kit for a standard airbox with uprated panel filter and decent cold air feed

Power delivery is VERY different though, speaking from experience...owning both, the pre facelift is much faster

See i'd disagree, i've driven a stripped out pre facelfit that was used as a cheap track car before it was scrapped, that had a rr print out of 175.2bhp.. And it didn't feel any faster than mine, only difference i noticed was the engine note at high revs, presumably the acis thingybob?

The acis kicks like a mule on a pre facelift, it's much more 'refined' on a facelift...which...in essence, makes it less fun to drive. I doubt my current GT's ability to keep up with mini cooper S's for example..my previous one could keep with one easily...and those are 170bhp supercharged.

The acis kicks like a mule on a pre facelift, it's much more 'refined' on a facelift...which...in essence, makes it less fun to drive. I doubt my current GT's ability to keep up with mini cooper S's for example..my previous one could keep with one easily...and those are 170bhp supercharged.

Hmm i dunno, i kept up with one of them along beachyhead near where i live.. The thing i find that helps the gen6 GT's is the stupidly long gearing! Can always suprise a few cars with that, especially all these vtec engined beasties that think they are the kings of N/a

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.