would i be

ive had my gen 6 gt for 3 years nearly now,have got quite attach to it as its prob been the best car ive ever had in terms off not letting me down,ive spent a good 3 grand on mods.

only thing is its coming upto 170k miles on the clock,would i be mad in putting a fresh engine and box in it? in about a years time? or would you just move on to something else?

Not at all, if the rest of the car is in good condition go for it.

My even be an option to recondition ur current engine and gearbox then you know exactly what state your engine and components are in.

Gen 6 is legendary, dont get rid if it. You will regret it

if a nice beams came along id prob go for that,but there rare as rocking horse poo......i agree the gen 6 is a nice shape looks well ahead of its time,and when i look around at some of these new motors (apart from the new toyota next year :blush: ) i cant think of any newish car apart from the dc5 that i like and can match the build quality of the gen 6,most new cars look awful if im honest.

the body works in very good condition,its mint,bit of rust underneath mind you,but i guess i could get that treated and sorted out,i also think it would prob be cheaper than buying a new car as well,and would prob last longer than alot of the shit that you see on the road these days,theres the power issue but if i do a re build maybe i can do some upgrades,the other thing is mpg isnt to bad,in fact pretty good if im honest on the gt,would love a gt4 but i know for fact that running it fuel wise would kill me as i do 15k miles a year,prices going up all the time as well.

so brings me back to the gt,and the question is it mad to spend money on a car that getting on a bit.

just certain things,the clutch needs doing really,got judder when i pull away sometimes,having done 170k it must be getting tired surely? even with good service history....on tick over doesnt sound as smooth as it used too,but runs fine,sometimes little bt trouble getting into certain gears,but no bigger,just feel like certain things are getting tired

My advice would be don’t fix something that’s not broken. As for the clutch just drop a new one in along with a new flywheel at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what car it is you will have to end up putting a clutch in at sometime. Like the others have said, keep on top of things and there is no reason why it shouldn’t last for another 170k. Dorris

would love a v6 conversion,would that effect mpg tho as to what it is now ? i can live with the costs at moment,there not to bad

also if i changed the clutch would then be any benefits in getting a fidanza fly wheel? or would a standerd new fly wheel be enough

mate, the 'rough' sound will likely be your cambelt in need of a change (the bearing goes noisy when due really) or your tappets, the latter being an easy enough job to sort out. The clutch you can get done for £250 at mr. clutch. These engines will go forever, I'm sure someone on here has one with 240k on the clock or so!! If you do decide to get another engine, might be worth just going for an MR2/GT4 lump...I've seen some on ebay from time to time that're rebuilt with forged bits and bobs and don't go for a fortune, would cost you more for a new car, lets put it that way. I've been mental this year and gone through more cars than in my entire life combined, all of them celicas...just cant drag myself away. But like you, if I had the funds...it'd be an Integra fo' sho'.

its not so much noisey,its quiet but needle seems to make a little bit movement on tick over and sitting at the lights,doesnt seem dead smooth,prob nothing

im just gonna post up some pics of me gen 6 and how it looks now on the mods thread cos i never really have lol

probably due a service/new plugs or something? idle can be many things...likely what I just mentioned or the ICV needs a good clean? Mine does it too...nothing to worry about. The smoothness in the car will come back with a new clutch I reckon, mines unbelievably quiet and smooth since I had it done, MUCH nicer than my last one...which felt like a crazed maniac wanting to murder pedestrians

And yeah get a thread up, looks ace in the avatar!

i change the oil every 5k prob a bit over the top but i always have as its a easy job,plugs i always use ngks and they wasnt done that long ago,along with new fuel filter,cam belt,done the dizzy cap and rota also thats all i can think off,maybe some new leads would help

Mines going on for 160k just had a new clutch fitted not to long ago, it made a huge difference in how my celica drove, alot smoother an quicker:-). Just saving up for a brake overhaul at the moment. Keep it mate, like what's just been said its cheaper then getting a new car,an much much better in many ways:-D

Edited by matyb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.