car tax problem

Meathead

Hi

my tax on my old car expires today, and i was gonna renew it, but it is uninsured... i dont wanna declare it off the road as it will take ages for the sorn documents to get back to me and as i want to sell it that will cause problems.

advice needed urgently!

cant you sorn it online , as long as its registered as sorn , you are safe , then when you decide to tax , do that online as well , yes there are delays , but over the net it should be registered instantly , and its the registering they like

sorry didnt make myself clear enough, i can insure it no problem, but if i called them now and did it, i wouldnt have a cover note to take to the post office for a few days? so i couldnt drive it

if my vehicle is sorn and has no mot or tax. then in what order can i renew them all? (i know for tax u need a insurance, but if u need mot as well how do you get it motd without it being taxed?)

Insurance first, then MOT, then tax. Insurance has no prerequisites; you need insurance to drive to

the MOT station but don't need tax; you need MOT & insurance to buy tax :)

You could hassle the insurance company into updating the MID, but even then it sometimes takes them a while to do it. Or, as said, have them email you the certificates (press the urgency its for tax so they do it asap) as the post office will (should!) accept printouts of emailed insurance certificates now.

You cannot tax a vehicle that doesn't have valid insurance. End of unfortunately. I would say, make sure the vehicle is off the road, get your tax sorted then insure it.

To take a car to MOT on the road you will need valid tax and minimum of third party insurance. Not sure if that applies to you but someone suggested you don't need the tax which is incorrect unless you are trailering the vehicle to the test station.

it makes no sense! if u dont have either tax, mot or insurance, then you can insure it then have to break the law to get the mot (as im sure 99.9% of car drivers dont own a trailer or a second vehicle to pull it!)

declared it sorn online, very easy... wish i had done it when i got my new one as i would have got four months money back...

ill just have to be sure to get it taxed and what ever before mot runs out in 3 weeks

then sell it

Not quite correct.

If you have insurance, you can drive an untaxed car to and from an MoT station where it's been booked in for a test.

No it can be untaxed if you are driving it to the MOT station and back again only - but it must be booked in before you set out

x3

Ive checked it out before with the plod and done it

Edited by Ghoulscout

sorry to hijack your thread Meathead, im facing a similar problem..

my tax runs out today and so does my insurance.

the car is currently on ebay, finishing this saturday (2 days away)

if i declare it as sorn online tonight, can the new owner (if sold) then re apply for tax on saturday or do i need to wait untill the paperwork arrives etc which could be a week??

im not sure how fast they are at dvla i was hoping to delcare it sorn instantly and then just go to the post office and apply for tax 2 days after hassle free..

No it can be untaxed if you are driving it to the MOT station and back again only - but it must be booked in before you set out

you are right in 1 way, you can drive it to mot station without no tax, but its still got to have insurance, and then if it fails you must tow it back and not drive, as i was banned for that for 14 days and had 6 points, 3 years ago,

if i declare it as sorn online tonight, can the new owner (if sold) then re apply for tax on saturday or do i need to wait untill the paperwork arrives etc which could be a week??

im not sure how fast they are at dvla i was hoping to delcare it sorn instantly and then just go to the post office and apply for tax 2 days after hassle free..

If you want to sell it taxed, just tax it now, it will show up as insured still on the database if you do it online. You can always stick 6 months on then return the tax disk once sold abd get 5 months back i think. If not just sorn it online and the new buyer will have to wait.

Ok we have established you can drive a vehicle on the road with out road tax to and fro a booked MOT.

Everything is now automated through a central database so if you SORN online it will be instant and you will get a confirmation emailed returned to you, this database also applies to the MOT and insurance.

As long as the vehicle has a valid MOT and the new owner who is buying the vehicle has valid insurance for it then you can take the now filled in V5 with the new owners details to the post office to get road tax and the post office will send off the V5 to DVLA, both parties will then keep their appropriate parts of the V5.

This is the way I did it so I was able to drive my GT4 home when I bought it. Dorris

I would SORN it - the new owner can re-tax it at the post office using the new keeper supplement (plus MOT and insurance - the PO will give them a V10 form to complete).

I'd be cautious about re-taxing it then the insurance running out, as that falls foul of the new rules about taxed cars requiring insurance. You would be liable to a fine/seizure/prosecution etc (thats assuming the DVLA were on the ball, which is unlikely! But its still not a risk I'd want to take!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.