Buying privately vs a dealer

wilbo83

The last two cars I've owned I brought from a dealer, a Focus St170 which I never had any trouble with and the Celica i got from a local Honda dealership which has been as good as gold so far.

Customer service wise I've been lucky and havent had any trouble with either.

Although if the right car was to come up for sale privately I wouldn't hesistate in buying it.

Private, mostly determined by the lack of cash in my pocket really though, although some luxury car dealers that take in cars as P/X might be a damb

I personally think buying within the club is a great way to buy, for obvious reasons,

although maybe somewhat limited, if you want one ...'this week'

Edited by cait

Bought private. Always would I think. Especially in this game, I'd go trawling the owners clubs of the cars I'm after. That's how I bought my old MR2, and my Celica. I'm technically savvey (professional engineer) so when I go looking at a car I'd see if it was a shitter. Both cars have been great for me.

Will be going to Toyota dealership for the FT-86 though!! haha

always buy privately IMO, dealers can wipe their hands off you just as easy as a privet seller as my cousin has found out. if the car is sold as seen then if you drive it half a mile down the road and it blows up, your problem, alot of dealers will help you out as they dont want the bad press etc. my cousin bought a mondeo, got half way home and the auto box messed up and it was stuck in third gear, then the immob packed up and in the end he sold a car he paid £900 for 2 weeks later for £100 for parts. the dealer gave it all the big one he'd give him back his money, then started ignoring his called etc. he got in contact with trading standards and the only thing they suggested was take him to small claims, but he wouldnt be guaranteed his money back and if he lost he'd have to pay the fees. so in the respect dont ever think buying from a trader gives you more security as it will be down to the dealer and his/hers desertion.

like wise with a warranty, they half the time are not worth the paper they are printed on. ok, some dealers are good, and they can offer you things like 14 days free warranty and if anything happens in that time they will foot bills etc to convince you the car is good, but you pay a price for this.

when it comes to privet sellers, you get far more bang for your buck. ok you dont get warranties with privet sellers but you go in knowing what you are looking at, if you go in blind thats when you get caught out.

but what would cost you say £3k at a dealer will most likely cost you £1500 or less privately. you pay for for stuff you probably wont use from a dealer, like the warranty stuff, and like i said most of it you pay for and in the T&C most of it is void as soon as you leave the forecort :lol: or they say its only valid if you bring the car to us and service the car at our prices etc etc.

privet all the time for me thank you, it wins hands down, more for your money and just as safe as buying from a dealer

u get good dealers and bad, you get good private sellers and bad - ive almost always bought privately - but the wifes yaris came from a toyota dealer - they did do my head in though trying to sell me supagaurd and an extended warranty....

like one of our visitors on CCUK has done

imho who recently purchased from a dealer after the dealer recognised that he had 'fallen in LUV with the celica' then proceeded to give him all the speel about someone else was ALSO very interested in it ) :rolleyes:

I only wished that young fella hadnt fallen for a salesmans patter BS & had looked more intently at some of

the brilliant cars we had for sale on here,

members gave advice including Janet/ Arizona (who had previously been a salesperson ) advised 'him'

about Salesmans Patter & BS's so what can You do ?

We all know what its like ... its like being 'In LOVE' ...& you ALL know Love is Blind ;) rose coloured

im pretty sure you're on about my thread a few weeks ago, if not my mistake :lol:

like ams said you get the bad and the good on both sides.

personally iv always bought my cars from dealers. the celica i got came with a free 3 month warranty which covers engine, gearbox and suspension.

my Pug i got before the celica came with a months warranty, the driveshaft went and i returned to the dealer and he fixed it within a week. it wasn't on his priority as he already got the sale but if i got it privately the repairs would come outta my pocket.

my older bro bought his MR2 from a private seller and the head gasket went, so he paid for it. then he bought an audi A3 and the turbo went on it..

personaly i will always get my cars from a dealer, from my brothers experience im not guna go private ;)

Both good and bad like above. Bought ST '96 in 2000 from Carcraft - brilliant car but clutch went in 1 month (spent £8000 on her in 11 years), replaced with '94 GT begining of year privately and already spent £2000, and expect another £3500 by end of December (car not been loved :( )

Edited by The Blue Meenie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.