lightweight alloys...

kny

Im looking for a new set of 17inch alloys fancy the 'KEI force 10' Appparentley these weigh 9kg. is this heavy in wheel terms? Also is KEI a good manufacturer?

Any advice appreciated :)

KEI is quite good, just depends what you like and as long as you stick with better known brands you will get good quality

i like the force 10s too, they would suit the 7 nicely especially if you lower it 30mm

i think the average 17" wheel is over 11kg+, light weight 17s usually from 7 to 9 and a bit less if you spend more

here is team dynamics pro race 1.2 17s weights

7.0 x 17 from 7.9kgs (17.3lbs)

7.5 x 17 from 8.2kgs (18.0lbs)

8.0 x 17 from 9.0kgs (19.8lbs)

9.0 x 17 from 9.5kgs (20.0lbs)

i would like the pro race 1.2 17s in white for my red gen 7

Not to keen on the lip of the team dynamics. but ok 9kg would be middle of the road, makes sense as these are fairly well priced.

im looking for something smooth to go with the despoilered look (rather than a rally-slag look :blush: )

Open to suggestions folks....

Edited by kny

I dont really like the lip either, makes them look smaller too. But i do really like the gloss white and spoke style

smooth look is good...the way forward actually i think, nothing wrong with a small bit of rally shlaaaag though....exept from those stupid flappy mud flaps people stick on

There's a blue G7 down my road with gunmetal force 10's on. Looks awesome!

He's had them for years so I'm guessing they'll last finish wise - His still look brand new!

Good thing about wheels like them is the spokes go right to the edge of the rim.

As a result they appear larger than they are, so you can have the handling (& cheaper tyres) benifits of 17's with the looks of 18's.

Similarly, a deep dished wheel will always appear smaller than it really is.

Talking of team dynamics pro-race though, I have pro-race 1's (now discontinued) on my mr2, I had 205/40 toyo's on mine and ended up with 2 potentialy leathal cracks.

Cheap(ish) lightweight wheels + 'Spirited' driving + UK roads =

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/124841-smack-crack/page__p__1517864#entry1517864

The reason lightweight wheels from the top names, Volk, Enkei etc cost £1500 upwards is not just the name!

The materials they make their lightweight (usually forged) wheels from is far superior.

Having nearly found out the hard way, I'm definately going to pick my next set on design & spec first, cost second.

im looking for something smooth to go with the despoilered look (rather than a rally-slag look :blush: )

De-spoiler'd all the way! :thumbs:

I dont really like the lip either, makes them look smaller too. But i do really like the gloss white and spoke style

smooth look is good...the way forward actually i think, nothing wrong with a small bit of rally shlaaaag though....exept from those stupid flappy mud flaps people stick on

:lol: Seems to be some weird trend round my way too - who can have the widest flaps... :o:lol:

Each to his own I guess, I like mine nice & neat...

Bikini-wax.jpg

Edited by Adex

Totally nothing wrong with the slaaag look just not my theme!

Haha good comments Adex

There's a blue G7 down my road with gunmetal force 10's on. Looks awesome!

He's had them for years so I'm guessing they'll last finish wise - His still look brand new!

That seems like a good result. This guy in the club??

The 18" KEI velocities on my car have 6.9kg stamped on them - for a comparison the "dynamic" 17" alloys weigh 10.3kg each.

that sounds promising.

So what is the correct fitment i should be looking for when buying 17s?? i cant seem to get my head round the whole offset thing...

standard toyota 17's for a Gen 7 are ET38.

easiest way to think about it is the higher the offset then the further inside the arch the wheel will sit.

there are ways to play around with it to get the look you want - you can get wheels with a low offset to sit out at the arch but these tend to come in the wrong stud pattern to fit a G7 or you can use spacers to shift higher offset wheels out to where you want them to be.

I choose the second option and got a set of ET45 wheels that were originally on a Civic type R and fitted a set of Freakyparts 27mm bolt on spacers.

• 2 weeks later...

The 18" KEI velocities on my car have 6.9kg stamped on them - for a comparison the "dynamic" 17" alloys weigh 10.3kg each.

My 17" team dynamics pro-race 1's weigh 7.1kg...

Totally nothing wrong with the slaaag look just not my theme!

Haha good comments Adex

That seems like a good result. This guy in the club??

Nope, don't think so.

I think the only guy round my way who might be is a green gen6.

He's got sprint series graphics on this year (had them a couple of years back too).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.