Where and how to sell a car?

First off, sorry if it's the wrong topic!

As some of you 7'ers may know, I am gonna be getting a 190 in the next few months. I have also been offered a new job, so that makes the 190-ness even more sweeter :thumbs:

My question is this; I want to sell my 140 privately to get the most money but I am curious as to how I'd go about doing this. Ok that wasn't really a question, more of a statement which will inevitably provoke a response.

What are the things I need to do to successfully sell my car privately? I know to advertise on Piston Heads, Autotrader, eBay, CCUK (would prefer if it was a club member - would be looked after then!). Would I advertise on all of them at once, or try two places first them chuck it on eBay as a last resort?

Additionally, what paperwork do I need? And what's the process of transferring the details of my car over to the new owner once cash had been traded for my 140?

Thanks in advance :)

Details are on the log book about what to do...or V5 registration document as its now called...

They fill in there details then you both sign at the bottom, they keep part and you then send it off...

Id put it on all places at once Ive had the most success with ebay, just as buy it now, no bids and then usually the prospective buyer will come and have a look and buy it there and then, and then you dont have to pay the final fee as you just remove the ad, so you will only pay insertion fee.

Autotrader next best, then pistonheads last I'd say, Ive never had any interest at all from there. Theres also gumtree, its free, so worth sticking it on. Get your car about thats the best way to sell it :)

yep , new fella fills in the logbook and you send it off , dont forget a receipt also to state its sold and the day and time

ebay is good but expensive , it also does give a more accurate value to any car , a car can be advertized for any amount but it doesnt mean it will be sold

auotrader is ok , it can have good local interest

gumtree is free so you get what you paid for , some interest if your price is good

pistonheads does ok but the vast majority of cars listed as sold were sold elsewhere

club sites are ok but you never get a great response for the simple reason most people already have that type of car already

the local paper can get a great response and normally costs a tenner , people dont like to travel so it can be a win win

And don't forget to prepare a receipt, 2 copies, basically stating "As seen, tried and accepted" signed by the buyer and the seller and dated.

I've always used Ebay, with great success... put a minimum reserve on it but I wouldn't personally use Buy It Now, when I search for something on Ebay I generally don't look at BIN items.

Thanks guys - it was a pretty obvious question lol but I thought best to ask. I'll see what luck eBay does for me first, then will go locally (but will have "For sale" signs in my motor in the meantime).

If you want someone to come with you to view 190's mate then give me a shout, dont live too far from you and its always good to have a second opinion!

Excellent, nice one :thumbs: When I come to viewing some I'll PM you and we can go check some out. I know some of the things to check but you'll obviously know more from owning one.

I used a variation of this form when i sold my motorbike privately.

It's a good 'cover your ass' receipt/contract.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_sellerscontract.html

oh and be careful if you let people have a testdrive.

money up front, drivers license, proof of insurance, etc.

Nice one, thanks matey :thumbs:

Omg I didn't even think of test drives lol. Thanks for that though, I'll be sure to check they have them prior to giving it a drive.

It'll be weird sitting in the passenger seat of my car when it's being driven :(

i was quite fortunate that the guy who bought my bike didn't take it for a testride, so it eliminated that worry... but it was a hassle-free sale. Couldn't have asked for a smoother transaction. I guess you can just hope to get a sensible middle-aged guy wanting to buy it rather than an idiot young boyracer

:mellow:

Well I offered... he sat on it, started it, checked for leaks, and agreed to buy it. It was in excellent condition.

Coincidentally, when i bought it new, I didn't testride it (or the same model) before buying.

Well I offered... he sat on it, started it, checked for leaks, and agreed to buy it. It was in excellent condition.

Coincidentally, when i bought it new, I didn't testride it (or the same model) before buying.

ha fair enough

My old boss would just buy new cars without test driving them, Mercedes, Jaguar...

I wouldnt do that though...

i was quite fortunate that the guy who bought my bike didn't take it for a testride, so it eliminated that worry... but it was a hassle-free sale. Couldn't have asked for a smoother transaction. I guess you can just hope to get a sensible middle-aged guy wanting to buy it rather than an idiot young boyracer

Guy i know was selling his pride and joy, a ninja. Blokes interested, turns up to have a look, wants a drive so after making sure insured etc off they go, mate was following on his other bike , bloke gets to t junction and drops it :o - he bought it, no haggling

If your after a 190 then my T-Sport is up for sale ;) haha

I've listed mine on autotrader and ebay. Just listed it on ebay now. Autotrader I've had one phonecall in 3 days, lets see how it goes on ebay now.

Only £10 insertion fee and if it sells then I'll ask the buyer to cancel the transaction and I wont have to pay any final value fee.

Cheers MYK but I'm not lookng to buy just yet. It'll be after I pass my probation period, so in four months time! (just started working my notice) :(

I like being prepared far in advance haha.

Hi mate

Just done the exact same thing as you, had my 140 for sale for 3 weeks and a nice lady owner (already a gen 7 owner!) took her away yesterday. Got in my spangly new T-Sport today and had the time of my life hahahha :) you won't be disappointed.

It's all hit and miss really, but here's my advice.

Get the car on eBay as a classified ad. This costs £15 for 28 days which works out cheaper than listing it a week at a time, and since no one can buy it or bid on it you don't have to deal with idiots bidding and not paying up. Include important info such as mileage, how much MOT and tax is left, pictures, and describe the condition of the car honestly. You don't want people turning up expecting to see a mint condition show car and seeing a slightly tatty 140 or you'll never sell it and you'll just come across as untrustworthy.

By all means get it on all the free sites you can, but as said above, you get what you pay for. I steered clear of autotrader as it was £36 for 2 weeks (no thanks!!) and unless you're car is a beautiful low mileage example then you're not going to stand out from the crowd.

Get some hand written signs in the back quarters saying the price, mileage and your phone number and make a big sign to stick on it at night (unless its in a garage where nobody will see it!) as you never know who might be passing by and show some interest.

All you can do after that is wait. Hopefully you'll get some phone calls from people wanting to come have a look. If you've got someone coming to see it, make sure the car is clean, neat and tidy. Nobody wants a car with all your old sweet wrappers in the footwells or thats so dirty you can't tell what sort of shape its in! Whatever questions they have just try be honest and genuine, don't start bullshitting people as they'll either see right through it, or come back to you at a later date!

Finally, be patient! It took me three weeks to sell mine, and it was in good condition with a good spec. A few grand is a lot of money to most people so don't get disheartened if nobody rings you in the first few days. If after a few weeks though you've had no interest, consider dropping your asking price or try figure out what might be putting people off.

Hopefully that helps you out and I've not come across as patronising or anything. Just sounds like you're in the exact same position that I was so trying to pass on some helpful tips. Good luck with the sale, and you're gonna love you're T-Sport, trust me!

Wow thats dome excellent advice mate, thanks. I'm definitely gonna try eBay as a classified then. If I can't sell it after a month then I'll part ex is for a 190 instead for a good price. I don't mind part exing over selling privately but I can get some more dosh that way lol.

I plan to list it in September. My new work is a brisk walk away from the train station so I don't mind being without a car for a week or so (my girlfriend and parents have cars that can take me to see t sports - or give roryk a call! :lol:)

Yeah I'm looking forward to it! Hoody01 took me for a ride in his GT and lift was awesome (when his motor was hot enough lol) :thumbs:

the guy who bought my bike didn't take it for a testride

the guy who bought my first celica, was kinds the same, i picked him up for the train station, drove him back to mine, go out and handed me over the asking price :lol: they are the best type of sales, no pissing about of haggling

One phone call from autotrader - listed the celica last night and already has 33 page views and 9 people watching it.

I'd say I'm getting more interest (and cheaper) on ebay for certain.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.