MOT Tyre Check

Afternoon all :)

I'm due an MOT in the not so distant future. My tyres are well within tread depth regulations, but the read n/s has a slight chunk out of the tyre wall. It's not gone all the way through so no air is being lost, will try to get a photo up this evening after work if I remember. But I'm basically wondering if it'll be an issue at the MOT centre?

Also, this might sound like a numbnuts question, but is it possible to change tyres on a wheel yourself...or is it just too difficult/delicate a procedure and should be left to garages with machines designed for it?

John

Yes its an issue usually, and no i wouldnt try and change one yourself its bloody hardwork. If you have another tyre the local tyrebay will probably do it for a tenner.

But if not sure maybe run it in to the mot place beforehand and ask?

if you can see any webbing/internal banding where the chunk of rubber is misssing then it's a definite fail. Depends on how big/deep the hole other than that.

As for swapping a tyre over yourself - forget it, the sidewall is a lot tougher than a bicycle tyre so you won't be able to lever it off with kitchen spoons. Most places will only charge a tenner or so to swap a tyre for you.

nice one, cheers. No webbing etc...it's pretty much just cosmetic, but will get a photo up in a while for clarification :)

You need a bead breaker to get the tyre off the rim (old fashioned way!). My pal has one and he takes the mickey out of me using it as it is very heavy and usually takes me 3 or 4 whacks whereas one blast from him and its off. git

Its just an almighty slidehammer with a flat bar at the end to fit against the rim.

Actually getting the tyre off is easy peasy, its getting it past the bead that you wont do without the breaker :(

You need a bead breaker to get the tyre off the rim (old fashioned way!). My pal has one and he takes the mickey out of me using it as it is very heavy and usually takes me 3 or 4 whacks whereas one blast from him and its off. git

Its just an almighty slidehammer with a flat bar at the end to fit against the rim.

Actually getting the tyre off is easy peasy, its getting it past the bead that you wont do without the breaker :(

Lol, years back i used to manage a petrol garage that had a tyrebay attached. I've had a go at it with a bead breaker , the guys had busted the machine and had an afternoon of tyre changing to do - whoever invented the tyre machine was onto a winner :D

MoT Testing Guide says (note bold italic bits):

Tyre condition

The reason for failure with respect to tyre wear is:

"The grooves of the tread pattern are not at least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising: the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread around the entire outer circumference of the tyre".

Tyres must be correctly matched with regard to:

type

size

structure

NB. type or structure but not both.

tyres on the same axle must be of the same structure and size.

Also examined:

general condition of tyre

condition of valve.

Tyres fail if they have serious cuts, bulges or other damage.

The wear on the tyre is checked with a tyre tread depth gauge to ensure compliance.

The tyres are examined to ensure that there is no fouling with any part of the vehicle.

Notes:

1. Although under-inflation is not in itself a reason for failure, a brake test may be inadvisable because of possible damage, and it may affect headlamp alignment. The condition of the spare tyre is not part of the MOT.

2. From 2012, Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) will form part of the MOT Test. Vehicles on which TPMS was originally fitted will have to have it fully operable. When this test is implemented one faulty sensor will result in a fail.

Sounds a bit subjective, so could depend on the tester.

Angus

Edited by Angus

Personally I wouldn't go anywhere with a chunk out of the sidewall. That's the part of the tyre which flexes with every bump and every change of direction, and a sudden failure would be catastrophic.

Edited by Gen6GT

They were like that when I purchased them for your information!!! :lol: I've only rubbed the rear wheel once...soon as I heard it touch the kerb I stopped..not a fan of smashing things into unmoveable objects!

The wheels are coming off soon anyway, so I don't think I have to worry just yet, might pop into an MOT centre over the weekend and ask.

Thanks for the info everyone :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.