Leather seat problems

Booth

I need some help with my leather seats in my Celica GT, When i bought them the seat bolsters were a bit damaged but they have to been getting progressivly worse to the point im having to stop wearing jeans with metal bits on incase I catch them.

this is how they look now

Both passenger and drivers seat are like this but the pic is of the drivers side which is the worst.

Whats the best way to fix this cause I dont think new seats are an option as they are rare as fook?

Thanks

I'm not very familiar with gen 7 seats, but on 6s you can swap the seat backs side to side, they are only fastened on by 4 bolts. That puts the unworn inside edge on the opposite side, and the worn bit on the inside edge where it should have an easier life. Any help?

Or, an upholsterer should be able to re-dye the scuffed bits

The Gen7 seats have side airbags so the side to side seat back shuffle is a no go :(

You can get leather repair kits from fleabay, i did get a black one a few years ago to repair a tear in the bolster of my passenger seat on a MR2 ( passenger + studded belt + alcohol = screwed seat ). There was what was basically a paint type stuff that you put over the repaired section to blend it with the rest of the seat - i can see no reason why you couldn't use that to "refinish" the area's of your bolster that have worn off. Just took a bit of patience mixing the stuff to get the right finish/tone as it came in two bottles - one was the colour the other was something that took the shine away from it and dulled it to allow you to match it to the existing leather.

The quality of the end result was proportional to the amount of time/effort put into it - so on my second attempt it was actually quite a good result - i don't speak of the first time of there would not have had to have been a second attempt :blush:

There are some decent reconolisers out there that could work wonders and have that looking like new but they'll charge a fair old few quid for the privilege.

No first hand experience of these guys but they seem local to you? Might be worth checking them out?

http://www.leathertech.co.uk/leather-vinyl-repairs

HTH, Shame about the seats but hopefully they aren't as bad as you imagine ;)

its a bastard to match been down that root myself when the guy installing my head unit sat on my brand new leather with a stanley knife in his back pocket

I'd have been sending him a bill for that, mate! :o

he said he d pay for repair but i cant find anyone to match original leather im now going down another root with another idea shame ya not closer

That's why firms like DHL come in handy, mate ;)

Theres a leather repair guy near me, repairs car seats/leather seats/sofas.etc

he showed me some pictures of a really old tatty armchair, loads of damage all over like in your picture. And then afterwards, where it was like a brand new chair. Service is out there!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.