17x8 wheels... what size tyres?

I'm torn between 2 different tyre sizes for a set of 17x8 wheels i want to get.

215/45-17 and 225/45-17

I know the 215/45 are probably the better size, but they'll offer no rim protection at all :(

But the 225/45 is going to offer rim protection :thumbs:, although they might not be the ideal size.

I can get Goodyear Eagle F1 assym in both 215/45 and 225/45 for £107 each corner, but in the 225/45 i can get the Falken FK452 which people seem to rate highly for just £85 per corner.

I'm torn.

Rim protection and slightly incorrect size, or correct size but slightly stretched and no protection?

What do y'all reckon?

I reckon you should be able to find some nice Rims in either 7 or 7.5J..sorry Steve but the fact 225/40 isn't available rules out 8J for me.

225/45 will affect the acceleration and increase tramlining , but I guess you knew that. Even 215/45 has a larger rolling radius than OE.

I just ordered some 225/40/18 Falkens for an 8J rim, they havent come yet but awesome price.

£262 delivered.

www.allnewtyres.co.uk

Shame you cant get 225/40 for 17's, if it was me i wouldnt go for 225/45 the rolling radius increase would be too large for me.

Currently I'm running 215/45/17 tyres, but I'm having a set of wheels refurbished and will put new 215/40/17 tyres on as it's closer to the stock size. Will give a nice bit of stretch to so I can get the wheels right up in the arches B)

what about spacers? could get a decent set of 7 or 7.5 rims and fill 'em out with some hubs? they wouldn't be hiding in the wheel arches then :thumbs:

OR how about blackcircles.com? did a quick search on there and found a load of tyres with 225/40/18 starting from £100?

Edited by kadrean

it's more the width of the wheel than the offset.

Both have a pretty good offset. the 17x7 is et35 and the 17x8 is et38, so i'm hoping i won't need to spend an extra £90 odd on spacers.

maybe i should just go for the skinny 7J so i can have some rim protection without sacrificing performance :(

and i can't afford 18" wheels, so the 225/40-18 won't fit ;):P

205 for 6J

215 for 7J

225 for 8J

otherwise you start running a slight stretch look or leave the rim exposed to curbing/pot holing, you can use an oversized tyre on a slimmer wheel no problem to a certain extent.

a 7J wheel with a 225 tyre will look the same as an 8J with a 225 tyre, you'd have to have them side by side or break out the ruler to tell the difference.

a 7J wheel should have a lower different unsprung weight to an 8J, ergo less weight means more speed.

yeah..... :(

*sniff*

guess i'm gonna have to go for the 7J rim then, seeing as they don't do the right size tyre for a 17" 8J, and i don't really want to sacrifice rim protection with all the potholes dotted around.

*sigh*

ho hum.

:(

Edited by InsolentMinx

235/40/17 are 1.3% difference over the standard 215/50-16 (i think)

are you on 17x7 wheels?

got a pic of the wheel/tyre?

:)

Steve, standard size on the 7 is 205/50/16 so these tyres are three sizes wider than OE and will tram. Joe is on 17 x 8J :)

I know the 215/45 are probably the better size, but they'll offer no rim protection at all :(

But the 225/45 is going to offer rim protection :thumbs:

did no one else find this funny? :unsure:

Edited by Dan23

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.