Painting calipers

I must be the least practical man on earth, but I f***ed up the painting of my calipers. I don't think I cleaned them properly. I sprayed on some halfords brake cleaner and went at it with a brush but neither did much. So I just said f*** this and just painted them with the hammerite. Looks shit. I'm gonna do some more layers tomorrow to try save it, but will most likely put them on looking wank and get someone else to do it. Oh and I'm not even sure what bits I need to paint lmao. I've just painted the front facing bits and left the backsides and the inner bits. Sound about right? Or should I employ my gung ho tactics and just paint everything?

Next up, a short shifter and bushes :)

I reckon you should paint everything, including the wheel.

I havn't painted my calipers yet. I was just going to paint everything (not the wheel, that bit was a joke), they need a guide on how to pain calipers correctly >_>.

Edited by Nutorious

How many coats did you do.

you need at least 3 coats on a "virgin" caliper before it starts looking good.

Make sure they are properly dry before you drive it, as if brake dust gets into tacky paint, then thats not good

I got all mine off the car, steam cleaned, stripped, degreased, painted them with red oxide primer first and then with red Hammerite, even after 2 or 3 coats it looked a bit thin and naff, I think I used 4 coats over a space of a week.

I painted the underside first let it dry then did the tops last, when completely dry I finished off by put some heat resistant white Celica graphics across the out side edge of the caliper. They looked sweet when I finished them and put them on the car but after a few miles of brake dust they don’t stand out as much now. It is a bit of a long slow process waiting for the paint to dry properly. Dorris

Try not to get paint on the moving parts (ie the sliding pins) or on the rubber dust covers if you can help it. Seriously though, how is it possible to fu*ck up painting calipers lol :P

Lend me your calipers and I'll show you :)

I'm not too fussed, I reckon if I just paint about 10 layers it should be ok. If it goes to shit then meh... I'll learn from my mistakes and won't bother next time :D

No it wasnt! :P i actually do tie them like that! :D

:D:)

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-tie-your-shoelaces

HTH

Edit: Just watched that video and I've never actualy seen the two loop way of tying them. Looks like it works well. ....As you were men!

Edited by crewcutchuck

:D:)

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-tie-your-shoelaces

HTH

Edit: Just watched that video and I've never actualy seen the two loop way of tying them. Looks like it works well. ....As you were men!

Way too complex for me. That guys shoe laces are too long. Though the you will need "A pair of hands" made me chuckl a bit.

Edited by Nutorious

Lend me your calipers and I'll show you :)

I'm not too fussed, I reckon if I just paint about 10 layers it should be ok. If it goes to shit then meh... I'll learn from my mistakes and won't bother next time :D

it's down to preparation Mate and why are you painting it this time of the year when the temp is almost always on 1 figures.... even on negative at times....

Oddly enough i don't actually tie my shoe laces up correctly! I do it the mong way by making two hoops then just putting one under the other!

So yeah a guide might be good for me :D

I don't actually tie mine either :) , mine are just tucked inside the shoe and under the insole, i hate having the knot showing :P

Here you go MagicMan

Front Calipers

And while your wheels off, you might as well do your brake hubs

Brake Disc Hub & Stone Guard

Everyone's got to start somewhere

Thanks. My calipers are like black with dirt though and seem to have about a mm of ancient crust that is showing no signs of coming off. How would you reckon I clean them? I've only done one layer of shit paint on one caliper btw. And can I use a hair dryer to dry the paint or put them in the oven to speed up the drying process is this cold weather?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.