chassis bolts hole

4jw

i was in a rush, trying to fit my seat back in before work and STUPIDLY, sheered a bolt going into the chassis(14mm seat frame bolts). the worst thing is, i tried the other good bolts which wouldnt thread (gives resistance). considering that the bolts going into the rear seat buckles are hardened and have the same size head, can i not try to use them to rethread the hole?

i know i should get it tapped but is it possible for a 14mm bolt holes? also, what other solutions do i have?

Do you mean sheared a bolt or just crossthreaded ?

Ideally you need a tap. When you say 14mm i presume you mean spanner size. This is most likely m10 fine. Fairly hard to get hold of bolts or taps.

You can use a bolt to clean up a damaged thread by cutting 2 or 3 lenghways slots to provide a cutting edge. Effectively turning it into a tap.

• Like 1

must be something about re-fitting these bolts, i near threaded one on mine but caught it in time. Best way is to get the broke bit out and retap the hole mate, be the safest way too. Any pics ? Might be able to weld a smaller bolt on to extract it. I ran a tap through before refitting them after that, must be the protection on them.

If you are on about the front seat mounting bolts then I had trouble with mine. They seem to accumulate crap and make it easy to cross thread the bolts. I bought a good quality middle tap from my local engineering shop and just ran it through each of the holes. Bolts went in fine after that. The tap cost about £15 - 20. I just took one of my seat mounting bolts down to the shop and said I want a tap to match that.

Edited by Serratia
  • Like 1

Mine was the same when coming out, real tight and felt like it was going to strip the threads. So i worked it back and forth and eased it out. Once out I just copper greased the bolt and wound it in, went in perfect.

As above, it just accumulates crap.

Most of the fixings to the body are metric fine pitch Especially the safety critical or structural items.. I know for certain that the caliper mounts to hub are along with the front strut brace mounting to the bulkhead on the Gen 6 so I would guess the 7 would be the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Screw it, I was never a fan of the stock seats anyway! I've opted for welding on some new subframes to make way for aftermarket seats. What can a driver side GT seat fetch?

Also, to save distress, I am aware I need a 3x4 metal plate to weld to the chassis before welding that to the subframes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.