Whats your best ever fuel economy?

I posted details up in the Japfest thread but wondering what the best fuel economy you have ever got out of your car

After Japfest was over I drove down to see family & stay over the Saturday night & drive home Sunday afternoon

I filled up & just about topped the tank Sunday morning before going to see my parents, sister & brother in law again in the morning before driving home

Heres the receipt

receipt1.jpg

I did a total of 9 miles before the drive home & the total for the run was 214 but when I got home I had to top the tank again as the gauge was just below 3/4 full & wanted to know the actual economy

fueltopped.jpg

I actually slightly over filled the tank as there was a little running out at the bottom, had also forgotten to change the time for BST so the time stamp was an hour out

The total fuel used was 23.64 litres for the 214 trip

receipt120513-1.jpg

This works out at 5.2070 gallons (litres divided by 4.54 to convert to gallons) [edited to 4.54 not 2.54 doh]

So the MPG worked out at 41.098 which is a lot higher than I ever managed before

In theory I would be able to drive a staggering 542.5 miles on a full tank :o

Also interesting that Shell fuel is 3p a litre more expensive in the south than in Yorkshire

Whats the best you have managed?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on a trip to pick up a land rover disco in mid wales i got 39.8mpg (or 38.9 was a while ago now) in the gen5. mostly motorway with a bit of tiny welsh tracks to find this car and back again.

worst i got was at santa pod and i think it was some thing like £20 for 4 runs so about 2 gallons to the mile. but that is a bit of waiting in line and pushing 90mph in 3rd.

Are you sure you've got the maths right there?

You said 23.64 litres for 214 miles? Divide by 2.54 would give 9.3 gallons surely, not 5.2 gallons. Therefore around 23 mpg??

Not sure I've done the maths right either. I've probably miscalculated it myself and I'm at work so I haven't got time to work it through again. Sorry.

Anyway, I took my gen 5 round North Wales over the weekend - and did 300 miles almost exactly.

I put a fraction under 38 litres of fuel in before starting - and the fuel indicator was almost exactly back to where it started when we got home.

So that's 300 miles divided by 38 litres equals about 20-21 miles to the gallon!

The database says that typical consumption on a gen 5 is 28.5 mpg - but I guess you've got to drive more carefully than I was doing to get that.

Expensive stuff.

Dividing by 2.54 is to convert centimetres to inches. However Phil's basic calculations are mostly correct, apart from what I corrected him on.

38 litres is 8.35883 gallon. Over 300 miles that's 38.89mpg.

Are you sure you've got the maths right there?

You said 23.64 litres for 214 miles? Divide by 2.54 would give 9.3 gallons surely, not 5.2 gallons. Therefore around 23 mpg??

Not sure I've done the maths right either. I've probably miscalculated it myself and I'm at work so I haven't got time to work it through again. Sorry.

Anyway, I took my gen 5 round North Wales over the weekend - and did 300 miles almost exactly.

I put a fraction under 38 litres of fuel in before starting - and the fuel indicator was almost exactly back to where it started when we got home.

So that's 300 miles divided by 38 litres equals about 20-21 miles to the gallon!

The database says that typical consumption on a gen 5 is 28.5 mpg - but I guess you've got to drive more carefully than I was doing to get that.

Expensive stuff.

Yep, you're right - I got all my calculations wrong - including my own mpg which as you say works out at about 38mpg. Apologies.

Celica 7 Fuel Tank Capacity: 55Ltr (12.10g)

1 Imperial Gallon = 4.54 Litres

136.9 = 1 Litre of V Power Nitro

I personally fill up about 25 quid a week, which is about 18.24 litres in my 140.

22 mile round trip, 2.8 miles of 40mph carriageway usually riddled with traffic, the rest is motorway.

18.24 / 4.54 = 4.017 Gallons

22 * 5 = 110 miles

110 / 4.017 = 27.38mpg

Baring in mind, 8 miles of this is literally crawling traffic. My BEST run was on the way over to Brum, averaged about 51.8mpg down the motorway and A38.

I think that's all right... if my calculation is off, then my results are totally wrong. :)

on a run of 125 miles i did get 41mpg out of my old faff!!!

got this from an old thread in the gt4 section

okay over the whole trip round europe the car averaged 33.4 mpg how ever on a 115 mile stint we drove at 55 mph all the way and it did tht trip on 11.86 litres ne body car to work this out????

32.4mpg is my best so far ...... with the supercharger fitted :)

I just about got 31 driving to and from work 25 mile round trip when mine WASN'T supercharged. With it it dropped to 23 lol.

On the journeys to meets (typically 90miles each way) I would get 36 and 28 before and after charging. The auris that I have as my daily driver does at least 37 for the the same daily commute. However I only got 34mpg going to/from japfest as there was no convoy this time :oops:

Edited by NJay

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.