Using parafin to clean car?

scorps1212

Hey guys.

An old guy from work told me that they know someone that used to work for the undertakers years and years ago and they used parafin on their cars to make the black shine really well. He said i better check on here before i use it cause these were old cars and it might be different with todays car paint.

Can i use parafin after washong the car instead of polish?

No.

It may leave the paintwork shiny in the short term, but long term it will wreck it. Paraffin will wash out any wax and polish leaving the paint porous which will result in rust.

However, if he meant 'paraffin wax'...

Paraffin wax is a bit like Vaseline and would seal the paint, but I don't know if it would make it shine.

Years ago a friend used to wipe his MG Metro down with WD40. It did shine I give him that!

Probably the best thing to do with an Austin :D

Sod the paint, I'd be more worried about someone flicking a fag out of their window......the car would be a fireball!!!

Explain that to the insurance!

Hi,

just to add something more to this . . . .old guy i knew who owned funeral/undertaker business always used to put egg cup full of bleach in final bucket of rinse water just for the paintwork for his cars

To be honest his black cars were very shiney, did look the part and didn't appear to come to any harm . . . . . . .HOWEVER, NEVER TRIED THIS MYSELF AS IT SOMEHOW JUST DOESN'T "FEEL" RIGHT TO ME . . . . . . CURLY WIPER BLADES,DOOR SEALS,SUNROOF SEALS ???? . . . . SO NOT RECOMMENDED BY ME . . . . :nono:

A decent car polish will do for me.

wd40 for removing tar from the paintwork though :thumbs: . . .just remember to put some polish on again afterwards

When I worked on a steam preserved railway we always used to buff up the paintwork of the locos with diesel. It worked a treat

Oh yes I remember that trick well (well not the steam stuff). When I was an apprentice with BR in the 70's, part of the mundane jobs we got given was prepping the loco's for 'special' trains. One in particular comes to mind.... The last ever Golden Arrow on 30th Sept 1972. I gave the loco a real 'Bull' job over 2 days, inc a thorough wash with loco cleaner (mild acid) and full shine up with a special; 50/50 diesel/sump oil mixture to gloss up the usual semi matt BR Blue and yellow, I even went as far as painting the oleo buffer heads silver with a splodge of graphite grease and a lot of the other dirty external bits got hit with bullshit paint as well. She looked pretty. My depot foreman was so pleased with the result he let me have a cab pass for the very last up trip from Dover Marine to London Victoria with a seat up front with the driver. I was only 18 at the time and my car was a 997 Ford Anglia Deluxe. :)

5013.jpg

I can be seen on the LH side of the pic, along with shoulder length hair and it's very likely I was wearing flares as well. :rolleyes:

The loco is E5013 a class 71 electric locomotive (2700 hp) all bulled and ready for the name board and flags. Pic taken at Folkestone Central on route to Dover.

Back on topic.... Nah, dont use parafin or diesel, it makes your hands stink and attracts dust! Stick to real polish.

Edited by Slugster

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.