Can I still drive it legally

Hi all

I applied for my tax disc on line yesterday and it will take 5 days to arrive but was just wondering if there were any probs with postage can I still drive the celi or could I be nicked for failure to display a valid tax disc.

Cheers Shaunwink.gif

When have you taxed it from? If from the start of June and you carry the receipt details you'll probably be OK - as the man said, technically it's an offence not to display, but the police have access to the Swansea database in real time so they can check immediately whether you're taxed or not, and will probabl;y turn a blind eye to the failure to display bit.

OTOH, if the tax is from July 1 you can't legally drive your car until July 1. Also bear in mind that if you are driving an untaxed car your insurance will almost certainly be invalidated, in which case the police can seize the car immediately.

Oh for the days in the dim and distant past when you could stick a beer-bottle label in your tax disc holder and get away with it!

I have to admit I never printed off the reciept and i've drove past loads of tax disc checker cars and i've bought mine online every year.

Even if you did get pulled by the cops and you showed them the reciept they probably would still phone up to check it's not fake.

I'm saving the planet 1 piece of paper at a time B)(lol)

When have you taxed it from? If from the start of June and you carry the receipt details you'll probably be OK - as the man said, technically it's an offence not to display, but the police have access to the Swansea database in real time so they can check immediately whether you're taxed or not, and will probabl;y turn a blind eye to the failure to display bit.

OTOH, if the tax is from July 1 you can't legally drive your car until July 1. Also bear in mind that if you are driving an untaxed car your insurance will almost certainly be invalidated, in which case the police can seize the car immediately.

Oh for the days in the dim and distant past when you could stick a beer-bottle label in your tax disc holder and get away with it!

Taxed from 1st July but car is taxed at the moment but runs out on Thusday (I think) and need to drive to work.

Taxed from 1st July but car is taxed at the moment but runs out on Thusday (I think) and need to drive to work.

I can do a Delboy

http://gb.fotolibra.com/images/thumbnails/700423-tax-in-post-reliant-robin.jpeg

From my experience with online taxing you'll get the new disk long before the end of June. I've been doing this for as long as it's been possible and my discs have all come 2-4 days after the transaction.

ive also been doing the tax on line bit for quite some time and as said normally comes very quick, if you drive the anpr camera's would still show as taxed, as all it does in check on computer and it's taxed as you have paid, the camera's that look for tax disc's are different and could show as not taxed, but this would happen till after the end of the month anyway. it would be an eagle eyed copper to spot an out of date tax disc and if you got receipt would probably let it go, as it would only be a day or two past the end of the month, that's my veiw anyway

if your driving along you tend to be ok , if parked then the traffic wardens could take your car , you will need to pay to get it back regardless !!!!!!!!!!!! yeah i know it doesnt make any sense but theres a law out there saying failure to display and it still stands . personnaly i wouldnt trust the bastards not to mess it up or for the postie to have a shed full of mail `` waiting to be delivered ``

The law was amended a while back to allow for postage of online tax discs.

If you've completed the online stuff, paid etc, then you're Ok to drive even without a tax disc. Probably wise to carry the receipt with you though just in case, although the car won't ping up on PNC or ANPR

Taken from the DVLA website:

Displaying your tax disc

Your vehicle tax disc must be displayed on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, you should display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.

A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200. The tax disc can not be transferred between vehicles.

If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.

Definitive answer from Bill T, and it also confirms on the V11: "You will have an extra five working days to display your old tax disc if you have taxed the vehicle online or by phone on or before 30 June 2011"

Nice to see that some common sense has been used to ammend the "failure to display" law (as mentioned by Razorjack) I worked in my Zafira without a tax disc for about 2 weeks in December due to christmas post, strikes and snow delaying postal deliveries. Nothing came of it but I assume common sense would have prevailed if I did get pulled, as I had paid for it and was just not displaying due to circumstances beyond my control, and surely they couldn't put me out of work in the run up to christmas.

I did mine online last year and it arrived in plenty time, put it in the car until the end of the month when i would change them over, it took until about 2 weeks into the new month before i remembered that my new tax disk was still in the glove box and not on the window lol never had any problems though

It's a bit pointless having to display the tax disc, now that everything is on the DVLA computer system anyway. I guess the paper disc is just a back up in case the computers go down.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.