seized bonnet release cable

digs

Hi, refitting my bonnet latch, to discover the cable seems totally seized. Before trying to find one any handy hints on trying to get it moving again, or is it pretty much junk now if its refusing to budge ? 

2 hours ago, trophytr5 said:

That looks quite useful and even if it doesnt work as too seized a handy tool to have (always good to have more tools!)

Edited by digs
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sherv said:

I'm assuming the pull handle inside the car wont even budge itself,not the handle loose and not pulling the release?

the latch side is not connected (it's not had a latch for about 8 years!), but the cable will give no movement/slack to reattach it, there is slack on the pull handle inside the car side but cant get that slack through to the latch side.

Ah right,only wanted to confirm.I couldnt open the bonnet on my car at Simply Jap the other year when someone asked to have a look at the engine.The cable was connected to the handle as normal but was slack with no tension.After getting home I jacked the car up and took off the front undertray and managed to pop the bonnet manually from under the car (handy having A/C delete so nice gap). It was just a small triangular nylon 'cone' thats part of the end piece of the cable assembly that sits in a recess to give tension at the bonnet latch end.It just needed reseating in its slot,it had popped up and out,making the cable too slack to pull hard on the latch.I used a teeny-tiny cable tie to strap it down so it cant pop up and out again,the cable itself moves back and forth through it.After 30 odd years it wasnt in there as tight as it should be so after umpteen uses it was likely to pop out again at some stage.

Edited by Sherv
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2023 at 21:09, willywonka said:

I have a bonnet cable mechanism for a GEN 3 if that's of any use?

hi - tracked one down and also have another Toyota one to see how close in length - if it looks good will be an alternative that is more available 

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.