Exhaust Time

wintersun

Need to replace the whole exhaust system this week on the Celica. I'm tempted to do it my self to save some money, It will cost me £175 in exhaust parts if I was to replace the down pipe, middle section and back box, keeping my CAT as its still ok.

Or getting my local good garage to do it will cost £325 for the parts and fitting.

Thoughts?

Is it a relitivly easy thing to do myself on my drive with a trolly jack or an I going to find difficulties replacing it?

it really needs doing asap as it sounds like i drive a imprezza at the moment and fuel and power is not good all the time i have holes in each section lol.

Im happy to go order my exhaust today, but im a little weary about any troubles I might have along the way about removing the old one and fitting the new one.

Im pretty good as putting my hands to most things, but if i get stuck along the way and only get half the exhaust off, i wont be able to drive it haha.

Its only the 1.8 ST so room around the engine isnt going to be an issue to get the down pipe off.

Any helpfull hints and tips would be really much appreceiated :)

Im pretty good as putting my hands to most things, but if i get stuck along the way and only get half the exhaust off, i wont be able to drive it haha.

^^ This, you might be laying underneath it all day trying to cut/grind it off when you could be sitting having a cuppa while its done far quicker ;)

Easy job mate so give it a go, just make sure you get new nuts and bolts because some will probably snap off, also give tcbparts a ring and order the 3 bolts that attatch the down pipe to the manifold as they tend to round off.

Oh and make sure you've got a deep 14mm socket for te manifold nuts ;-)

Easy job mate so give it a go, just make sure you get new nuts and bolts because some will probably snap off, also give tcbparts a ring and order the 3 bolts that attatch the down pipe to the manifold as they tend to round off.

Oh and make sure you've got a deep 14mm socket for te manifold nuts ;-)

Do I need to take the manifold off?

I dont have an angle grinder either, so would that prevent me from possibly doing the exhaust job?

ok thanks, what reason will i not need and angle grinder, the bolts on the CAT and down pipe to manifold look well rusty.

As im replacing the whole lot, what do I actually need to unbolt to get the exhaust off the car, the less bolts to undo the better.

do you know what gaskets i need? as in where they go? do I need gaskets between each joint? Down pipe to cat, cat to middle sections and middle section to back box?

Also is the lambda sensor screw in or bolt on for the ST?

sorry for the ton of questions, but im going to do the job myself now :) this week!

Just got the exhaust down to £161 on euro car parts :)

Edited by wintersun

If you give TCB a call,theyll tell you what gaskets you need for the job mate.Make sure you use plenty of wd40 or something on the nuts well before you attempt to undo them.;the ones that that bolt to the threads on the manifold are a tight bugger,half the time the studs wind out with the nuts in situ.You can carefully us a small blowtorch,type you find in homebase,to heat the nuts up though to make them easier to get off.

If the bolts snap when you use a breaker bar it's actually easier and quicker cos you'll just pull them out and replace.

Gaskets you'll need are the 1 between backbox and middle, then 2x cat gaskets and then the 2x down pipe to manifold.

I suppose though if your removing all you could just undo the 3 manifold nuts and the 2 that hold the pipe to the body of the car and then cut all the hangers

Matt has hit the nail on the head.

Exhaust are only a pain if you don't have a breaker bar or a blowtorch.

Get under there and savage the bolts off if there rusty.

I used to allwaus get a shop to do mine but since I got the Celica I Have done my own and its not as bad as you think.

But some stainless bolts etc as they are so cheap and will save any hastke for future

Good choice mate! Just give yourself plenty of time!

Have you bought a new lambda or are you using your old one

Going to use my lambda, while its out, whats the best way to clean it out?

Matt has hit the nail on the head.

Exhaust are only a pain if you don't have a breaker bar or a blowtorch.

Get under there and savage the bolts off if there rusty.

I used to allwaus get a shop to do mine but since I got the Celica I Have done my own and its not as bad as you think.

But some stainless bolts etc as they are so cheap and will save any hastke for future

I dont really have a blowtorch, but i do have a bar that I use as a breaker bar.

What size bolts do I need to get to replce them old ones with?

i changed mine from the cat back a while ago in the yard, back end reversed up on ramps was plenty for me :) the nuts and bolts looked like they were going to be a knitemare but 2 good 6 sided spanners sorted them right out. i did have to lie under sideways and force them with my foot but once they loosened they flew off :o

new gaskets are 3£ for the cat from toyota and best mwke sure the cat face is spotless before connecting the new pipe to it, as said you maybe need a wee bit of paste depending on how clean the cat face is :)

yea toyata should have them mate, the are a squash fit so best clean the face as much as possible. I had mine of from the down pipe so hit it with a wire wheel in a drill :) a few extension bars dropped my downpipe off, not sure yours is the same but.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.