Brake bleed nipple sheared off!

Jak90

Help! I have sheared off a brake bleed nipple. It did not take that much effort to snap it (must be crap quality I bought).

Any chance that it can be removed with an extractor?

They were only fitted to the calipers 7 months ago. They were not a brilliant fit and I asked the garage to take a look whilst doing some other work. Looks like the other 3 are going to snap too ???!

I will probably have a few 'words' with this garage.

Fortunately, the caliper is not losing any brake fluid so I can still drive it for now.

An extractor shouldn't have any problems removing them if they've only been in a few months. If doing it yourself I would recommend getting the caliper in a vice. Carefully compare the broken nipple to a full sized and drill carefully.

I always open bleed valves using a six sided socket. This ensures that the force is applied

evenly and reduces the risk of rounding.

Edited by gazza1286

Bleed nipples have to be opened very slowly with very little effort - putting a spanner to them and going at them with normal effort and they will snap, I now open bleed nipples on all calipers before posting as had a few people snap them on recieving. Gently tap the spanner rather than pushing if that makes the sense

Another method that works sometimes is forcing an old allen/hex key into the hole and undoing it. Not the best way to treat a new allen key set, but if you have a cheap set of keys and aren't worried about mistreating them, then it's worth trying.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late for you now :( , I was taught to always wire brush around the bleed nipple a day or two in advance and spray with Plus gas, don`t bother wd40 each to there own method but I prefer to use a decent ring spanner, I think it lets me see and be in control more.

Good luck with the others :)

• Like 1

A bit late for you now :( , I was taught to always wire brush around the bleed nipple a day or two in advance and spray with Plus gas, don`t bother wd40 each to there own method but I prefer to use a decent ring spanner, I think it lets me see and be in control more.

Good luck with the others :)

Same here, Always use a ring spanner as it gives equal pressure on the hex flats on the bleed nipple

Yeah, I just went for it with the first bleeder 'cos it had only been on a few months, used a ring spanner too.

On the other caliper I tapped the spanner gently a few times both directions and it undid quite easy.

I tried an extractor screw on the broken nipple but it would not budge, and the extractor broke. Anyway I have ordered a new caliper.

Lesson learnt - if it ain't budging you probably need to drill it out :rolleyes:

Lesson learnt - if it ain't budging you probably need to drill it out :rolleyes:

Been doing a lot of that in recent months on the Celica. Seized then sheared caliper slider pin, Sheared off two bolts on exhaust manifold heat shield, had a seized ABS sensor , various fasteners on the plastic undertray all sheared off.

All of then drilled out and, where needed, re-tapped. and new fasteners fitted.

The ABS sensor was a nightmare, plastic, steel, magnets, copper wire and making sure you don't drill too far and catch the trigger ring.

Seems that most of the smaller fasteners on Toyotas are made of Crapalunium or Shitanium. But I suppose it is better than being made out of Unobtanium. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.