hmm which ones ...grooved or Dimpled or both

Akuma77

ah right so it looks like about 8 grooves for the mtec discs then , will have a look around and see...

MTEC from around 3 year ago, 10 grooves ....

IMAG0586.jpg

I love that set up joe! What sort of price will replacement rotors be? Can you get the separate from the bells?

:unsure: Errr I'll be looking at 3 ton shipped for a new set of rotor rings. Yeah the bells are detachable...

Mine definitely howl on breaking I will be replacing them with standard ones when it comes to it as it makes no useable difference. If anything feels even more spongy than stock.

Actually, that's a good point Carla.

With these drilled & grooved discs, they squealed a lot with Mintex pads. Since putting Apec ones in instead, they're completely silent. Forgot about that - I thought it was dirt at the time.

well i was thinking mintex pads as they are very well recommended , i know ian (daytona ) used grooves with mintex and his are silent....

Yup! Discussed my personal requirements with FP. Was advised drilled no real advantage for road use and have ( very rare) chance of problems. Grooved give small water clearance assist and look a bit better. Mtec grooved & Mintex pads, Fresh fluid, braided hoses and master cylinder brake stop. Would have gone for black discs and avensis calipers had I known more at the time but they work substantially better than when I bought the car. The biting point is still behind most modern cars but my subconscious is now reprogrammed accordingly! They stop fine and no noise at all.

Had my dimpled/grooved on for <1000miles but haven't noticed any squealing or extra noise.

Then again I came from a Cordoba, which had so little sound deadening around the arches/struts that the plain discs on that sounded horrific under breaking especially first thing after rain (even my mum looked at me with an 'omg we're going to die this cars fucked' look the first time I took her somewhere in it and braked for the first time). This was with the discs/pads that came with the car and the brand new pagid combo I put on. Brakes still stopped the car very well if you pressed hard enough (they were very much like the Celica's brakes, would stop you, just not tell you they were going to stop you).

I'm running Mintex on Mtec grooved and no problems or noise, the grooved is merely aesthetic really as I don't do any track use. I won't go for dimpled as they're primarily for heavy breaking to help cool down the discs. As I won't be doing this they're technically just another weak point in the disc that has the possibility of cracking. I'm not saying this is likely but it's a possibility i'd rather not have.

Edited by sheepy

I have grooved & dimpled on mine. The only time I notice any noise from them is if you are driving with the window open and are fairly close to a wall or armco and the noise is reflected back. On the open road I have no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah mine should too as my mate asked me what brake discs and pads ive gone for and i said they are a disc that are very highly spoken about on the club and mintex pads (his reply was ahh so your gonna have more stopping power lol ) ..

mine a just normal solid ones , will be interesting to see what pads are on the car ...

• 5 weeks later...

well these brakes are very good , braking is so much better than the stuff already on the car , id say they are bed in now as the colour has come off and im guessing the only noise im getting is the sound from the grooves at certain speeds but everything is good and they are doing a great job so far .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.