Higher octane fuel

Don't worry, it's not another debate on the subject!

I plan on using higher octane fuel to give it a try (seems worthwhile to try even after reading a million and one mixed reviews on the subject!), filled up a couple of times since owning the car but just normal stuff as I haven't been on empty

So, Q1 - Do I have to wait to fill up till the tank is warning me of low fuel?

Q2 - Depending on route to/from work, I can use either Shell or Tesco. Are they all pretty much the same or would you recommend one or the other?

Just watched a vid online (few years old by the looks of it, the petrol station had the sign up saying 91 odd pence!) about the difference in higher octane fuel. They only tested normal vs BP vs shell and shell outperformed on the higher performance cars

Cost isn't an issue, I don't understand people that drive around looking for the cheapest fuel! It makes minimal difference even on a fuel tank. Think going higher octane on a G7 costs about £4 extra a full tank which IMO is nothing, especially if you are actually getting the benefits

I've just got the Shell loyalty card - it looks like you get more points for buying nitro+ and one of the reward options is money off fuel vouchers. Might make a bit of difference to the £4 per tank extra that the good stuff costs. There's also a Shell motoring app that looks interesting - anyone use it?

I normally just say no when shops start talking about cards! Will have to get one though as you may as well if you're spending so much there

I d/l the app last night, not looked at it properly though, it does say which garages are local and what fuel they stock which is good

Edited by Defective Audio

Shell seems to be the clear favourite here then

Will have to take a look at the loyalty card in more detail, I probably only spend about £200 a month on fuel so can't imagine I'll be getting loads back!

Sure you'll be surprised at how little, but as said above, every little helps so if going to use it anyway might as well have the card - which reminds me i need to activate mine........

Seeing this, next time I fill up I am going to give shell nitro a try. I normally always fill up at morrisons just because its cheaper even though I pass a shell garage on the way... hmm may need to rethink this :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.