Noise when wheel rotates, metal on metal sound. (metal on metal crime) (noise) (rotates) (brakes)

So for a few months I've noticed a tinging sound whenever I've got the windows down, like I'm dragging along tin cans or something. It was annoying more than anything, but today I decided to jack the car up and spin the wheels to see which wheel was causing it.

Well, all 4 wheels sound like the brake pad is touching the disc. The calipers aren't stuck as all wheels move freely, but they all make the noise.

I've included a video. The first wheel I spin is what the other two wheels sounds like, the 2nd wheel I spin sounds terrible.

Anyone got an idea of what the cause is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqhx7mgXgXc&feature=youtu.be

Nope been used regularly.

Also you know when it's rained, and your discs are wet you get a weird noise the first few times you brake? Well that happens to me every time I brake. I really have no clue what could cause all this. AIDS of the brakes maybe.

Ebc.

They are not known for their quality especially with their pads, just ask a few members on here.

In the vid there seems to be quite a bit of rust on the discs, If you looked at the back of the disc it will be in a worse condition than the front. I would have said you may need new discs.

And the noise you get after it's been raining, probably rust build up, it doesn't take much for a light brown colour to appear on the discs after a short rainfall

Did you use copper grease on the back of the pads?

Cannot remember. It's been, like, 8,000 miles since the brakes were changed though (discs, pads and calipers) and the noises have only come recently.

First of all you need to find out IF its the pads. Remove the pads and remount the wheels, don't apply the brake!! See IF the noise goes.

Sounds logical. Will try it.

They are not known for their quality especially with their pads, just ask a few members on here.

In the vid there seems to be quite a bit of rust on the discs, If you looked at the back of the disc it will be in a worse condition than the front. I would have said you may need new discs.

And the noise you get after it's been raining, probably rust build up, it doesn't take much for a light brown colour to appear on the discs after a short rainfall

I am aware. I got the pads before everyone's started falling to pieces and everyone loved ebc lol.

I meant I get the noise even when it's not been raining. Like every time I stop.

I hope its not new discs, otherwise the quality of mtec must be gash.

If you still get the sound with the pads removed, the next thing to get out of the way is the caliper. Have you removed the discs and checked for a rim of rust around the outer edge of the disc? Outer AND inner edge, both sides !!

Does sound like warped discs and/or pitted/lipped, since the sound is only almost consistent - the only way I can describe it is a waving noise, increasing and decreasing slightly in intensity. ALL my discs on the 140 were warped and made a similar sound, used regularly aswell, though the cold weather had likely done it according to the garage. Definitely warped though, they gave me the discs back and they were shagged.

sounds like the discs are catching on the where the shoes mount on the backing plate...... we have seen this at work and have to grind away the lip where the shoes sit......but as the discs aren't new (don't look it anyway) it would have done it from day one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.