Not that I am complaining like but......

How come the Japanese market gets so many cool extras. I mean my faff has got electric folding mirrors yea which didnt really become a popular addition to normal every day cars until the mid to late 2000's and mine is a 96 plate :lol:

Like I said I am not complaining but just wondered why the Jdm got so many extras back then that only became common place 12 years on.

Just like my scooby,100 more bhp, folding mirrors, massive body kit, full on bucket seats, better suspension set up, bigger turbo .... I know i am on about an impreza instead of a celica but it is as if back then they just wanted us all to have under spec cars!!!! The only car sold over here that was better than its counter part in japan was the uk supra.

Because the Japanese car market is a lot more competitive due to having several domestic brands. Plus the Japanese love technology and gadgets.

and they are not scared of electrics like we are over here. well with BMC and the likes and there sterling quality of electrics its no surprise really.

Cost was also an issue,to keep the prices competitive in the UK/European markets apparently.

My UK gen4 was around the 16-17k mark in 1987,so wasnt a cheap car.But it came with power steering, you had the ABS option, 147BHP twin cam engine with separate oil cooler,disc brakes all round,electric mirrors (manual folding though) ,full electric tilt and slide metal sunroof,adjustable speed wipers,Aircon with Eco mode,central armrest with built in cup holders,alloy wheels,loads of stuff.

Wayne has a JDM car (convertible) of similar age, but his even has multi function steering wheel with factory fitted cruise control,JDM cars also had the electrically adjustable seats like we mentioned as well.All this stuff was in the late Eighties,I used to own a Ford Sierra which was an '87,it was a 1.8GL and that entitled me to a manually adjustable drivers mirror,a rev counter and a fag lighter.Not even allow wheels let alone PAS or any of the above.True it was a slightly cheaper car back then but was light years behind the Japanese mindset.And that was just for the UK Jap cars,let alone more generously equipped JDM models.I had what Cravo was talking about in my JDM ST 205 which was a 93/94 model,climate control,the lot.Good stuff

Tis a double edged sword , anyone remember that beige ra28 for sale last year ?

Was a jdm car , when the car was new , one of the ways to act more flash was to whack even more options onto the car , so the 1st buyer opted to have the USDM spec bumpers etc , cost more , didn't look like all the rest of the ra's in Japan , but sadly soooooo wrong

Like sherv , I have had many old school 80's fords , none of my capris had anything like my old gen 4 , and even my wild child 2.8i wasn't all that , I think it had pas ! In comparison , I had an 82 mitzi Sapporo ( looked like a gen 2 facelift) , and that thing had buttons for stuff all over the place , and no b-pillars , so cal look as std :)

I think only half of Japan is liveable so every thing is compact just like there homes and garages so Miguel at newera imports told me. But one great thing is you can buy a 30 year old car from Japan with no rust on it at all they have sunny hot weather for 320 days a year and with no salt on the great roads that they have lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.