Black smoke under acceleration

Now I know exactly why I have this, it's because of the oil burning issue.

It's no news at all, but when I put my foot down for hard acceleration I do get quite a bit of smoke. Basically looks like a diesel under heavy load.

I know I probably won't be able to remove it completely, but is there anything that would help reduce it? Gets a little embarrassing putting my foot down now and again. Maybe even just changing the oil filter? I'm not sure how these things work...

Cheers!

Black smoke is not oil burning, that would be blue smoke. Black smoke would suggest she is running rich. I would say perhaps a few things would cause this. O2 sensor perhaps. Mine produces blue smoke which I know is the oil issue. Blue smoke under load is definitely piston rings. Perhaps Ams could shed a little more light on this one mate!

Isn't this basically piston rings? They could be out of alignment.

Lol, it's the flawed design of the early 1zz-fe engines that gummed up the piston rings. I already know why it's happening, I'm just wondering if there's any way of reducing it. An oil change, engine flush and filter change will definitely do it, but it'll go back to this in 1000 miles, which I drive every month.

So while I'm fine with the engine burning oil because of gummed piston rings (as I know I can't solve this), is there any way of reducing the amount that gets thrown out the back? It might be a daft question but I'm not hugely mechanically minded.

Black smoke is not oil burning, that would be blue smoke. Black smoke would suggest she is running rich. I would say perhaps a few things would cause this. O2 sensor perhaps. Mine produces blue smoke which I know is the oil issue. Blue smoke under load is definitely piston rings. Perhaps Ams could shed a little more light on this one mate!

Ohh... now that's new. I'll have to double check with a friend driving behind me, but I'm sure they said it was black. Is the O2 sensor the lambda sensor?

Thank you!

That's right mate, we have 2, pre cat and post cat sensors. Pre cat usually does this IIRC. Do you get a CEL every now and then?

Also, you can solve the problem but it means taking the engine apart quite extensively. I'll be tackling this at some point!

Edited by gen7nnb

You used to be able to get "stop smoke" additive ( might've been from Wynns) that you could bung in your oil which would calm a smoky engine down.

BUT I've no idea how that would be affecting the internals of your engine so I'm not recommending you look for it / try it.

Edit - quick search produced this :D

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=195469&categoryId=255221&langId=-1

Edited by keef-b

Don't think it'll work in diesel ;)

But do know it stopped an old 16v golf I had billowing smoke - didn't stop it drinking oil but did stop the smoke. I knew the engine was pretty goosed so didn't care about what mischief the stop smoke elixir may be getting up to inside the cars heart ;)

Edited by keef-b

How would you apply it?

Pour it in at the oil cap - simples.

But if your engine is burning through a fair amount of oil then this stuff will be burnt off too - could be costly to stay smoke/soot free!

(but ideal if you were an unscrupulous muppet passing off a motor with a gubbed engine to some poor unsuspecting soul - that's about the only application that i can see this being developed for :shrug: )

Edited by keef-b

Strangely enough, I actually put this in mine last night just before the thread was posted by ger, today, been for a drive, no blue smoke. Win, even if it is a temporary one.

But if your engine is burning through a fair amount of oil then this stuff will be burnt off too - could be costly to stay smoke/soot free!

You do have a point there. I wonder if it would treat the engine enough to make it last a month or so. I don't mind using this once every now and again.

im not a mechanic so dont quote me on this, but i was told once never to use oil addictives. All they do is thicken the oil, so all this stop leak stop smoke stuff does is just thicken the oil so it doesnt go through the bad seals in the engine. If you keep using it in the same oil then the oil just gets thicker and thicker... You can imagine what damage this could do.

Personally I would drop the oil completely for 5w40 oil.

Black smoke is fuel burning, oil is blue coloured smoke as already mentioned.

Have you tried cleaning the lamda and maf sensors?

How much smoke are you talking out of the back?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.