Bolt sizing

dazzy

Can anyone please tell me what size bolts are used on a gen 6,

ie, m5 m6 m7 etc

mainly the 10mm nuts/bolts

12mm " "

14mm " "

I don't have a gauge to measure the bolts and I want to get stainless ones ordered this week.

Thank you.

Daz.

Edited by dazzy

Can anyone please tell me what size bolts are used on a gen 6,

ie, m5 m6 m7 etc

mainly the 10mm nuts/bolts

12mm " "

14mm " "

I don't have a gauge to measure the bolts and I want to get stainless ones ordered this week.

Thank you.

Daz.

Thats like saying how long is a bit of string :shrug: there are a lot of nuts and bolts on a Gen 6

In my opinion, stainless nut and bolts should only be used on toilet cisterns or marine craft. If you are using it as a nut and bolt its ok but only if you use the same grade stainless nut

There are so many types of stainless that can be used for fixings that trying to find the right one is almost impossible. Some of them are no better than the stainless used to make knives and forks, it won't corrode but look how easy it is to bend a fork. Another issue with stainless is that with only small amounts of dirt in the threads it can gaul up and be impossible to undo. If the bolt if subjected to heat there is almost no way to get them undone so don't fit stainless exhaust studs and nuts. I don't know why it happens but if you screw stainless into mild steel once they get tight they sometimes weld themselves together and you will sheer it before you undo it again.

Thanks for the replies.

I need 120 new nuts to replace the rusty ones removed from my split rims which turn out to be welded together so they just need to look nice and not go brown rusty.

so,for example if I want to replace a wing bolt (10mm socket head) with a stainless one what would I need, i.e M? x 20mm length, flanged hex

thanks.

Edited by dazzy

In my opinion, stainless nut and bolts should only be used on toilet cisterns or marine craft. If you are using it as a nut and bolt its ok but only if you use the same grade stainless nut

There are so many types of stainless that can be used for fixings that trying to find the right one is almost impossible. Some of them are no better than the stainless used to make knives and forks, it won't corrode but look how easy it is to bend a fork. Another issue with stainless is that with only small amounts of dirt in the threads it can gaul up and be impossible to undo. If the bolt if subjected to heat there is almost no way to get them undone so don't fit stainless exhaust studs and nuts. I don't know why it happens but if you screw stainless into mild steel once they get tight they sometimes weld themselves together and you will sheer it before you undo it again.

dissimilar metal corrosion , one acts as a cathode and the other an anode causing accelerated corrosion

In that case the bolts from the split rims would be stainless and the nuts mild steel so using stainless nuts would be a good thing in this instance? remember they are just for show .

I only use stainless steel fasteners for non-stressed or low torque areas, (ie for holding things in place) plastic undertray, numberplate screws, battery bracket etc. I also NEVER fit them dry. I always use an anti-seize compound like copper-slip.

St/St bolts & fasteners can friction-weld themselves together if assembled dry and can be almost impossible or at best a real pig to drill out if you snap a bolt off in a blind hole. Some mild steel bolts are designed to stretch and yeild when assembled to a certain torque. you may find that the St/St bolts may break at a much lower torque especially if they are more decorative and have no markings on them because they've been either machined or polished off.

Not all things shiny are good.

Its not that I want shiny , I want them to stay clean/free from rust.

So I should steer away from stainless then, what about galvanised, thats just plated mild steel right.?

I am learning by the way and I appreciate all the comments!!

Edited by dazzy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.