Powder Coating Brake Calipers

MYK

Getting back onto the subject of powder coating. As I'm told a powder coated finish chips easily, and with the wheel being in VERY close proximity to the caliper, wouldn't you have to be mega careful about damaging the the finish on the caliper when removing/refitting a front wheel?. At least if you clip a caliper that you've hand painted, it's a two minute job to use the remaining/matching paint to touch-up the damaged area.

I'm with Kev on this one - managed to clatter my wheel off the caliper once or twice. It's more likely as the calipers and discs are larger therefore nearer the wheel!

I'm getting the back calipers done. Standard size. And have 17mm spacers on. If they hit off the wheels theirs more to worry about than the chipped paint! :lol:

So people think painting would be best for calipers?

I just want to paint the rears black to tie in with the fronts.

Wonder if I can get high temperature matt black paint at halffaurds......

I used Halfords caliper paint on mine. They were clean, grease free new calipers and although I followed the instructions the paint doesn't stick that great! Finish id good but not durable in my case.

I think I will use Hanmmerite/Smoothrite next time as it does stick to to other things I've painted!!

Just be sure and give the new calipers a good blast with brake cleaner to remove any oil it grease on the surfaces and any paint you use will get a good clean surface to stick too. All in the preparation ;)

If I'm going to do this myself can anyone tell me if their are any parts I shouldn't paint. Obviously seals, holes atx. But are inside the brakes ok? Anywhere I should avoid? :)

05180EFA-E940-44E9-8A79-118065CB0644-6072-00000624D0C73CFD_zps036428ea.jpg

9D551F20-31AF-4A2B-A307-AC5D5E6AA5FD-6072-00000624D5FC97A4_zpsf33d385d.jpg

76769271-6322-47C5-93B9-06578FB92BE1-6072-00000624DB66B1A5_zps7f6c95f8.jpg

A56D3B68-F251-4A84-AD7A-97A798842FCD-6072-00000624DFC61D6B_zps0d309508.jpg

Getting back onto the subject of powder coating. As I'm told a powder coated finish chips easily, and with the wheel being in VERY close proximity to the caliper, wouldn't you have to be mega careful about damaging the the finish on the caliper when removing/refitting a front wheel?. At least if you clip a caliper that you've hand painted, it's a two minute job to use the remaining/matching paint to touch-up the damaged area.

I will be posting up a vid in the next week or so to show just how tough powder coat is once its been baked.

Just as a point of reference, wheels are powdercoated as its tougher, more resistant to chips and scuffs and leaves a long lasting finish.

:thumbs:

It matters not how big the pads are as the same pressure is applied.

However for a given pad size the further out for the centre the force us applied the quicker you brake.

Try it. Get someone to spin a frizbee inbetween their fingers and then stop it with your finger tips near the edge and then near the middle. The latter requires much more effort :)

So your saying use a frizbee as a brake disc :thumbs: :laugh2:

Of you look on my mod thread I overhauled all my calipers. I would painting by hand is easiest. Paint all the parts that aren't involved in the piston or slide mechanism, or pad travel. This will minimise any catching of the caliper. And over paint is easily scraped off with a Stanley blade or screwdriver. I would say remove the piston bellows but not the piston. Leave it in as removing the seal will inevitable damage it as you try to pick it out the groove with a pointy object. Simply mask over and around the piston bellows and over the piston before painting.

I had mine fully apart as I was replacing everything.

Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.