Rusty nuts !

post-13131-0-61913500-1363798019_thumb.jpg Ok so some of you know that ive got new wheels :) ( and yes it does and will be lowered before you start ! ) now the problem i have is as you can see from the pic the nuts are going rusty :( and theyve only been on the car about 3ish weeks .Ive been in touch with the suplyer and they say theyve not heard of this before , they asked if it was possible to send the nuts back for them to have a look , my reply " shall i put my car on bricks then " answer not possible lol so ive had to send them pics so they can send it to the manufacturer . Has anyone else had this problem ?

Did it specify if they were stainless steel nuts or not? I imagine they're just mild steel with some sort of (not necessarily rustproof) coating on.

I have the same nuts on mine, but in red - no sign of any rust on mine at this point and they've been on the same amount of time roughly.

I have the same ones as you,and the same problem.

They did say they were stainless, obviously not then! :lol:

These were the ones i bought, rust proof my arse

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-X-M12-X-1-5-SLIMLINE-TUNER-ALLOY-WHEEL-NUTS-FIT-TOYOTA-MR2-SERA-PASEO-COROLLA-/200907645228?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&fits=Model%3ACelica&hash=item2ec707612c

I have the same ones as you,and the same problem.

They did say they were stainless, obviously not then! :lol:

These were the ones i bought, rust proof my arse

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ec707612c

thats why i went for the dearer ones and not the cheaper sets thought they may have been better :(

I think black would look fine IMO..

but wont the inside peel when putting them on or removing them ?

thats why i went for the dearer ones and not the cheaper sets thought they may have been better :(

but wont the inside peel when putting them on or removing them ?

Shouldn't do because its anodised metal not paint, I got red ones on mine been on there for months now taken them off about 4-5 times and they still look new

NewWheelsNuts2_zps5e8a66bd.jpg

They're just mild steel, probably chrome plated (albeit poorly). They will rust eventually as the plating chips off with repeated tightening...but they should last a lot longer than 3 weeks. I had some similar and they lasted a year till the rust appeared.

The anodised ones tend to be made of aluminium. There are quite a few instances of alloy nuts snapping off or stripping threads out (alloy threads like to wear with repeated use) so be careful with those.

As for those who've mentioned stainless steel...dream on :lol: I have some but they were custom made one off's. You won't find any, and certainly not for 25 quid.

Edited by Alistair_GT

I need a set my self - these look good but not sure if they will rust or not

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=300815408436

Jess they look ok, you will see what happened to mine tomorrow the same as what Amanda said i would be inclined to go with bigb on this, and Jess i think the extended nut won't look too good with the Enkies but i may be wrong lol. ;)

Edited by Wickie

Ferrous steel nuts and bolts, no matter what they're plated with will always rust because damage is inevitable every time they're tightened or removed, its made worse by electrolytic action because of alloy wheels. Alloy nuts are to be avoided though at all costs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.