Second car gen 7?

digs

Hi.

Been umming and ahhing about getting a second car so I can quite worrying about turboing my gen 6 and get on with it. So was looking at something initally cheap and cheerful and thought why not a gen 7?

It would relax me to mod my gen 6 to my hearts content while keeping a pretty standard gen 7 for regular use.

I pretty much only want one in red, in reality probably only have a 2k budget and only mods I would think of is black alloys and lowered.

With that in mind, do you think a 140 or go for the 190? Insurance on either is not an issue, a t sport is half what I get quoted for my ss1, and that's without the turbo!

Would want something reliable, with the gen 6 to have the crazy fun in :)

Am I being reasonable in my budget ? If I can get it lower the better! Also assume my flat sale goes through, already fell through once...

Edit: prob should have put that in gen 7 forum! Also petrol cost is not an issue as walk to work.

Edited by digs

As you are planning to go all out on the gen 6 I would go with a 140 as it's a more relaxed car. With the 190 you will feel the need to work the engine to play with that extra 50bhp above 6k.

That's my thoughts, 140 so I also enjoy the gen 6 as that gives something different. And will steer away from death rattles!

But also insurance and petrol aren't really a factor, but if budget will get a better 140 than a 190 then that's prob better.

It's just got to be red ;) quick look on autotrader and nearly all 140s

If you go for a 140 MAKE SURE its the facelift post 2003 model. Any model 190 is fine as long as lift works, just change the lift bolts as soon as you buy it, they only cost £2 and take 40 min to fit.

Basically don't be tempted by these age ones then ? Guess that's why they are cheaper.

Look at this on eBay:

2002 TOYOTA CELICA VVTI RED

http://bit.ly/VPXo3P

Link doesn't work mate

On my phone so not sure...just searched eBay celica red anyway :) was on for around 700 at mo, with clutch replacement due (which doesn't worry me as much as a broken engine!)

I would say get a 190 because it's safe to go for a pre facelift which should fit your budget a bit better. Especially if fuel and insurance are not an issue.

You might feel the need to work the engine and use lift but that's no hardship really. It's perfectly relaxing to drive it at low revs when you're in no hurry but at least you know the extra power is there when you want it.

Maybe something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-VVTLi-190-6-Speed-Manual-1-8-Coupe-Red-Glass-Sunroof-Top-Spec-/321053112088?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ac041b718

A bit over budget but you might be able to get that price down. looks very clean but the wheels are grey rather than black, I think they're quite nice though.

Or this facelift 140 is a bit cheaper...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-03-Toyota-Celica-1-8-VVT-i-alloys-red-6-speed-/360556471729?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item53f2d725b1

Edited by Chris H72

I would say get a 190 because it's safe to go for a pre facelift which should fit your budget a bit better. Especially if fuel and insurance are not an issue.

You might feel the need to work the engine and use lift but that's no hardship really. It's perfectly relaxing to drive it at low revs when you're in no hurry but at least you know the extra power is there when you want it.

Maybe something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ac041b718

A bit over budget but you might be able to get that price down. looks very clean but the wheels are grey rather than black, I think they're quite nice though.

Or this facelift 140 is a bit cheaper...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53f2d725b1

Thats not bad at all really if you only intend to use it as a secondary car.

Thanks, the facelift 140 seems a pretty good price. As mentioned, it all depends on flat sale going through, so have to bid my time a bit. Those two are good examples thought of what can get for what price, thanks for looking :)

Edit: If I go for one it would actual become my primary car, with the gen 6 getting the modding and weekend driving :)

Edited by digs

if you plan to use both cars at the same time, do you have 2 insurance policies already?

if not something to bear in mind is that you will have zero no claims if you take one out. claims transfer across (IE if you've had an accident in the last 5 years etc) but no claims doesn't.

I was close to buying a mates 1600 astra back before i got a second policy and it was more than my celica which I had max no claims on, so ended up with a 1.0 micra. Just something to bear in mind if you've not looked into it.

I'm with Dan on the insurance thing - retired my TSport and got a diesel for work. Then got a call from the insurance explaining that the no claims discount I had was already "in use" so needed to redo the policy. Ended up more expensive to insure a 306hdi 3rd party than fully comp on my TSport!

Ok, that's ruined my day! ;) Thanks, you are both quite right, did not think about that. Quick review on the t-sport is 450 ish with my no claims, 1k without! 900 with 140.

This mind you is in my rubbish insurance area which quotes me 900 for my gen 6.... I think I can get it down on that side as not stayng in my current rental.

Hmmm, going to have to spend some planning time! problem I will run into is that most insurers arent going to want my insure my gen 6 with turbo conversion. so multi car (e,g, admiral) will be out.

Time to have a chat to one of the brokers maybe:)

I never knew that about the insurance, what a rip off!

Surely the no claims should go with the driver and not one particular policy? After all if you have driven for years without claiming then you have 'no claims'. You would think having two cars would cost little more than one as you can only drive one at a time.

I never knew that about the insurance, what a rip off!

Surely the no claims should go with the driver and not one particular policy? After all if you have driven for years without claiming then you have 'no claims'. You would think having two cars would cost little more than one as you can only drive one at a time.

Agree, you either have made no claims or you have! Especially if the fact that claims are transferable and no claims are not, that is completly stacked against the "customer" here!

My SS1 when putting in the reg actually comes up as a import celica GT, and as such if I don't alter it to SSI gives me the same quote as a UK Gt (i.e. half the price). Wander why I bother to change it.....if I was not a member of this club I would have no idea that import gt was not the right choice and have cheaper insurance!

as peeps have said insurance could be an issue but depends on who you are with as some will mirror your no claims on a second car,Adrian flux have done this as i run a weekend "toy" with a limited mileage policy & my 190 as my daily now is less than £500 for each with mods declared :)

I believe Neil (I think) at Green Light do similar & possibly Sky insurance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.