Vinyl Application

MYK

This may be a stupid question....

But I have some headlight overlays to apply that need to be applied using "soapy water".

Is there any specific soap that should be used?

Or any specific soap that should be avoided?

I know the main thing is the preperation which is no problem, but application with soapy water made me wonder "with all the different soaps out there, does it matter which one?"

Just incase any cause damage to the vinyl or if any that contain alcohol to kill germs may cause problems....

:)

That would make sense - I was thinking of hand soaps as well :lol:

I've got some fairy liquid kicking about so will use that! Don't have any baby shampoo though - unless I can use my normal head and shoulders :lol:

I knew someone on here would know :D

Thankyou!

Edited by MYK

It comes with some pretty detailed instructions with each overlay set. So its pretty straight forward by the looks of it.

Basically spray soap and water on before applying overlay. I also (and dont know if this is right but it's what i normally do when applying over overlays) wet my fingers slightly as if your fingers touch on the vinyl they have a tendency to leave marks on the sticky side. then. give the underside of the vinyl a very light spray. Then. apply and position corectly. I had some fly eye and still have the credit card applicator that came with it so use that to squeegee out all the water. then. hair dryer to warm and make sure it wraps smoothly.

I'm doing mine tonight so will try and take photos during :)

It comes with some pretty detailed instructions with each overlay set. So its pretty straight forward by the looks of it.

Basically spray soap and water on before applying overlay. I also (and dont know if this is right but it's what i normally do when applying over overlays) wet my fingers slightly as if your fingers touch on the vinyl they have a tendency to leave marks on the sticky side. then. give the underside of the vinyl a very light spray. Then. apply and position corectly. I had some fly eye and still have the credit card applicator that came with it so use that to squeegee out all the water. then. hair dryer to warm and make sure it wraps smoothly.

I'm doing mine tonight so will try and take photos during :)

Ah wicked cheers fella :thumbs:

Whoop

I think 2 sets of hands would definitely make it easier... at least when i was doing mine, because the bits were so small (i didn't do the headlight overlays), they would blow about a bit from the hairdryer... so when it was warming up a 3rd or 4th hand to hold the vinyl in place would have been ideal.

i went for the tops of the rear lights, and the top of the 3rd brake light... just to break up the amount of red plastic.

there's no storm blue vinyl colourmatch though, so a dark tint did the job perfectly.

DSC04728i.jpg

and crappy phone pics...

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

Edited by InsolentMinx

Yeah. That's quite a good idea. I've got my rear lights wrapped at the minute and its just a very light smoke on it which doesn;t restrict any visibility and testing it with a torch shows the reflectors still work 100%.

I think in the future though I may opt for something like this if I ever had any problems with mine!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.