Solar trickle charger

Friend of mine has a TT and had problems with battery running flat over a few weeks of not being used.

Anyhow I thought of investing in one for the Celica but with the TT it can plug directly into the cig socket as it is constantly feeding 12v with the key out. but the Celica no power through the cig socket only with the key switched on.

Is there some way or wether someone has converted the cig socket to run all the time like some other makes?

money where mouth is moment

i brought a solar panel to keep the car charged up , its a bit bigger than a normal plug in the fag lighter set up as im not convinced they have enough in them to work 100% , as you can see from the reflection its cloudy here and its banging out 15.2 volts into a jell battery ( looks less in the pic due to angle ) , the battery is fully charged at 14.3 and hasnt been charged by the mains

DSCN0071.jpg

Friend of mine has a TT and had problems with battery running flat over a few weeks of not being used.

Anyhow I thought of investing in one for the Celica but with the TT it can plug directly into the cig socket as it is constantly feeding 12v with the key out. but the Celica no power through the cig socket only with the key switched on.

Is there some way or wether someone has converted the cig socket to run all the time like some other makes?

Unless you spend considerably more than the cost of a new battery then don't bother. Power output is minimal, voltage regulation not good. Get a trickle charger.

money where mouth is moment

i brought a solar panel to keep the car charged up , its a bit bigger than a normal plug in the fag lighter set up as im not convinced they have enough in them to work 100% , as you can see from the reflection its cloudy here and its banging out 15.2 volts into a jell battery ( looks less in the pic due to angle ) , the battery is fully charged at 14.3 and hasnt been charged by the mains

DSCN0071.jpg

Whats the wattage on that pannel izzzy?The one i've got coming is abit bigger than normal to,but should fit nicly on parcel shelf.Gonna spray the silver edges black so it blends in abit.

mines a 5 watt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260639262939

given this is a amorphous panel ( that means it works even on cloudy days or even when its raining rather than needing direct sunlight , figure on this when the panels inside your car ) which cost a small fortune to create the price isnt bad , it also comes with the usual diode ( stops the elec travelling back ) then im happy and it defo does the job , the small in car i suspect to be rather weak in performance hence buying this

toys :D got to love the toys

Just ordered one, don't need one as have a proper starter/charger one, just interesting to see the results, might plug it into a drained one for a month and see if I can start a car from it after.

• 3 weeks later...

Thing is I didnt want to plug it straight to the battery as would be defeating the object when going for a day out somewhere and have wires dangleing over the bonnet to the inside of the car. I wanted it to go straight to the cig lighter and put it on the dashboard and hey presto.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.