Can't gel with my Gen 7

So, after selling the 540i and getting into the Gen 7 190 I just can't gel with it..

I'm not sure what the issue is but I'm just not sure I like it?! The car itself is fantastic and faultless..

I've been driving it around for a month now and don't know what to do.. :( Just insured it with Sky and no other cars out there that I'd rather have at the moment.. :brickwall:

I'm assuming you mean a Beemer 540

I suppose that is quite a big difference in car to go from a large engined executive saloon to a relatively small engine sports coupe though

Anything in particular you aren't jelling with, i suppose the engine takes some getting used to being that it needs to be revved hard

Like I said, just not sure.. perhaps its just because its sooooo different to the bmw.

I think its the revving mostly and all of the extra cockpit noise and the rock hard suspension..

Perhaps it just takes time!

The revvy engine is the cars defining charcter. They love been worked hard. Give it the beans a lot once warm and the car will reward you. They like being thrashed. My car ran so much better after a day on the track. No more bogging down at low revs etc. After market sound deadening can be added quite easily and cheaply, plenty of threads out there just do a search. ;)

Also.. 4th to 5th change in lift.. how do you keep it in lift? Always just drops to about 6.5k and out of it.. :(

Would a short shifter help?

Edited by Lee540

If its any consolation, it took me a good 8 months to start to like mine & i absolutely love it now. I had a TT 225 quattro & a Focus TDCI which were both completely different rides to the celica. Its hard going from a car with a relatively large amount of torque to the 7 which has basically none but you'll get used to it as you drive the car more.

I was the opposite. I went from a 140 to a 320 via an A6 lol and really didn't like it so got back to celica and got a t sport. There's a massive difference in the way they feel and I just really didn't like the way the Beemer felt to drive.

Edited by Cravo

I think you have to remember that this is a sports coupe and as such, it will like a thrashing, it will handle better (at the expense of a harder suspension) and there will be more road noise since the cabin isnt lined with layers upon layer of sound deadening. Its quite a raw little car if you ask me.

There are mods you can do to make it more comfortable for sound, also changing the tyres will help with the road noise. A short shifter will make changing gears much tougher than it is already so not sure I would advise that based on what your saying.

FYI, most people on CCUK get a celica, lower it and add stiffening bars to the suspension to make it handle even better and the ride comfort goes out of the window. They also usually put on a custom exhaust and an air intake to get the engine and exhaust note even louder lol - Are you sure you wanted this type of car?lol

Also.. 4th to 5th change in lift.. how do you keep it in lift? Always just drops to about 6.5k and out of it.. :(

Would a short shifter help?

Hmm, I can keep mine in lift on that change... also 6.5 is in lift! You're changing up right at 8.2 right? And not going uphill? ;)

So, after selling the 540i and getting into the Gen 7 190 I just can't gel with it..

I'm not sure what the issue is but I'm just not sure I like it?! The car itself is fantastic and faultless..

I've been driving it around for a month now and don't know what to do.. :( Just insured it with Sky and no other cars out there that I'd rather have at the moment.. :brickwall:

Persevere, I love mine and I can't find anything that will replace it (and I have looked!)...previous car was an FTO, (and a Freelander but we dont discuss that!), faster yes but the Celica is a much better all round car. It does all I want it to do, fast enough, reliable and fuel consumption is pretty good - also, IMHO it is one of the best looking cars on the road.

Hmm, I can keep mine in lift on that change... also 6.5 is in lift! You're changing up right at 8.2 right? And not going uphill? ;)

This is all hypothetical aint it lads ... because topping 4th gear is around 100mph & we wouldnt dream of doing that unless we were on a track right ;)

I don't notice my 'power boost' till 7k and I'm changing on the redline.. maybe just got to get used to it!

I bought it because it looked great, its a bit different and is great on fuel!! (compared to 15mpg of bmw)

I haven't fiddled with it yet, perhaps that'll help the bonding process!! It came with a custom exhaust, dual exit but no louder than stock, cold air induction, 40mm springs and 25mm wheel spacers all round

What you need to do is go for a drive, just for the sake of driving, not to get anywhere. Pick a nice fast windy road, think go kart and high revs and have some fun. Get to know how it handles in the corners, when to shift up or down.

You have to drive it how it wants to be driven not how you want to drive, that should do the trick.

I'm not sure what the 190 is like to drive as I've got a Gen6 but I can assume they handle like go karts which seems to be the way with all Celicas. Its one thing I miss now that I have a Supra as my primary car. Don't get me wrong the massive amounts of power and the ride quality is 100% better but I miss just been able to throw it around any corner or round about and not having to worry about anything.

For me the whole attraction to the celica is its quite a lot smaller than all of the other cars mentioned (Obviously not quite 106 size but its still small) above and thus means you can just throw it around anything. The other attraction is you can rev the t*ts off it and it loves it.

My advice would be the same as above, take it out for a proper drive and just have some fun. Don't try to compare it to something its not (A large German power house) just take it out and rev the crap out of it....With in reason and obviously without speeding ;) or endangering others.

Lift is pretty pappy compared to proper power but the noise is very addictive! Best enjoyed when you're driving through built up areas i.e buildings either side, as the screaming resonates off them. :D

Lift is pretty pappy compared to proper power but the noise is very addictive! Best enjoyed when you're driving through built up areas i.e buildings either side, as the screaming resonates off them. :D

country lanes for me! i always feel guilty after spending time in lift since I tend to have quite alot of mechanical sympathy from previous cars and end up checking the oil after parked up to find that it hasn't dropped even a millimetre!!

handling wise, plenty of grip and limited bodyroll.. touch of liftoff oversteer but can compensate with mild left foot braking as mentioned in another topic.

think I just need to give it some more time! some dry roads would be nice also!

country lanes for me! i always feel guilty after spending time in lift since I tend to have quite alot of mechanical sympathy from previous cars and end up checking the oil after parked up to find that it hasn't dropped even a millimetre!!

handling wise, plenty of grip and limited bodyroll.. touch of liftoff oversteer but can compensate with mild left foot braking as mentioned in another topic.

think I just need to give it some more time! some dry roads would be nice also!

Me too, it took me a good 12month to get what the 2zz is all about. I don't rag it now tbh, just feel safe in the knowledge that the engine is designed for it & my oil is changed every 4k or 6months ;)

All this talk of high revs is making me want to go for a blast! B)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.