opinons

Personally i think whatever car you buy your going to be paranoid and scared of it going wrong - evident with the charge cooler pump on the GT4 you did buy.

You cant own a car without there being some pitfalls - things do go wrong from time to time , car parts do perish and wear out over time and no matter what we drive there will be a better newer car out there.

so if your always going to be paranoid about things going wrong i think that shanks pony is the way forward

yer i did buy a gt4 and yes the charge cooler pump went on day 2,not a great experince,but thats not being paranoid....thats bad luck.

its not about being paranoid its about doing the right thing,which is why we all come on here,to ask questions,meaning of a forum,im not looking for negative comments.

Your asking for opinions - thats my opinion.

Every 2 minutes your asking the same thing - my car is getting old what should i do.

Someone says buy a GT4 another says a gen 7 - is one of those opinions wrong?? No because thar is their opinion and thats what your asking for.

If your constantly asking wether you should buy a newer car then in your head / heart you cant really want to keep yours or you wouldnt be asking this question over and over again.

its not negative - its being honest.

Edited by johnyboy1976

^^ This

Only you can make your mind up in the end though, its about what you think not us

My 2 penneth is , you may be in the situation of having sold the 6 (probably to a fellow member) buy a 7 and then possibly regret it if you have problems whilst watching someone else having many more miles of troublefree motoring in the 6

but its a chance you take

you also mention wanting a better fuel consumption and then talk about wanting to mod for more bhp in the same post ?

Have you driven a 7

If you have and you like them go buy one :)

Exactly - we do get bored.

IMO no matter what you do to the 6 - wether ITB's , Beams conversion your going to have nagging doubts about things going wrong as all older cars do to some extent.

Yes it was bad luck that the pump went on the GT4 - but this did make you paranoid about owning it and scared of things going wrong.

If you can afford it go for something newer - like the S2K's you were thinking of , test drive a gen7 ( 190 ) and other stuff - things like BMW 330 coupe's are silly cheap and give 230bhp from a silky smooth inline 6

indeed only i can make the choice,and thats what would piss me off,if i got something else had hassle with it,and then see my old car driving around perfectly fine lol hence why i wanna make sure i do the right thing,but as you say its a risk,all things in life are a risk i guess.

i have drove a 7,but it was a 140 bhp one,nice to drive and nice enough car,just seemed a bit boring compared to driving a 6.

indeed only i can make the choice,and thats what would piss me off,if i got something else had hassle with it,and then see my old car driving around perfectly fine lol hence why i wanna make sure i do the right thing,but as you say its a risk,all things in life are a risk i guess.

i have drove a 7,but it was a 140 bhp one,nice to drive and nice enough car,just seemed a bit boring compared to driving a 6.

Well unless you get to use lift at every opportunity in a 190 (which frankly you're not for most everyday driving) then they feel pretty much the same i believe

they arent as well made as the 6, they rattle

Also I meant to add if you get a Gen 7 GT then if you want to get somewhere quickly you'll be living in Lift. Now I'm thick but even I know it'll use more fuel than a gen 6 GT at 4k rpm or whatever but if the Gen 7 is like a Civic Type R then it'll be gutless unless you're in lift.

Seems kinda pointless

(I'm not slating gen 7's by any means so if I have got it wrong about being gutless out of lift then I apologise :) )

Ive gone from a 300bhp impreza to a gen 7 140 and to be honest i can have just as much if not more fun in the celica. Dont get me wrong the impreza was an awesome car but the gen 7 is now starting to feel just as much fun. Add to that one of the worse points of the scooby was putting fuel in every other day. If you are worried about it not being fun to drive then get one, do a few mods and drive it, best to regret something you have done than something you never did. Other problem is its impossible to speed anywhere now so the quicker cars are not as much fun as you spend most of your time looking for the plod. :thumbs:

P.S thats just my opinion

i do like driving my gen 6,its great fun as ive done quite a bit to it and it looks great as well. the one thing that lets it down is the miles its done and thats the only thing.

but maybe i shouldnt let that bother me and if it does go wrong then just fix it when that happens,i guess i could go buy a gt gen 7 and then end up having trouble with that,not only that but id also have to start all over again,whats the brakes like? clutch? exhast? all that stuff on mines been done and i know where i am with it.

and is a gen 7 gt really going to be that much faster ?

Edited by looney

Gen 7 brakes are shite - be better off cutting a hole in the floor and braking Fred Flintstone style.

Gen 7's do handle well though - that long since ive driven a gen6 other than a GT4 that i cant compare - and my 7 with Tein superstreets on it was like a go kart.

But unless you buy a new car with a warranty your going to run the risk of things going wrong and having to spend ££££ to fix.

Even the best built cars go wrong if not correctly looked after so if you keep on top of yours it should be fine - look at Insanity-74 his 205 has done well over 200K and as he looks after it it runs like clockwork

Gen 7 brakes are shite - be better off cutting a hole in the floor and braking Fred Flintstone style.

Gen 7's do handle well though - that long since ive driven a gen6 other than a GT4 that i cant compare - and my 7 with Tein superstreets on it was like a go kart.

But unless you buy a new car with a warranty your going to run the risk of things going wrong and having to spend ££££ to fix.

Even the best built cars go wrong if not correctly looked after so if you keep on top of yours it should be fine - look at Insanity-74 his 205 has done well over 200K and as he looks after it it runs like clockwork

fred flintstone style lol

if i keep the 6 i was thinking of getting the tein kit,but its about grand i think lol i do keep on top off things and it drives well,and at worse i can always dump a new engine if if it ever needed it i guess,dont know how much gearboxs are these days.

Gearbox doesnt cost that much for a 2nd hand one - infact gen6gt4 has one with a LSD that would improve your car.

The Teins do make a huge difference but BC's cost way way less so why dont you get a set of those.

Engines are ten a penny for a rev 3 3SGE - so if your thinking of going ITB's ect try and get a 2nd hand engine and recondition it then build it up to a good spec in your free time / as funds allow

I started to worry about my 194k on my SR, but having known its history servicing it and compiled list of minor niggles that can be sorted I'm more confident it will last a wee while. I bought this after getting rid of an 09 corsa, because it was boring and things didn't always go right with it and didn't work out cheaper in the long run. I work next to a kwik fit and see the state of some of the new cars that go in there, and regularly chuckle passing a new(ish) car on the hard shoulder having 'issues', doesn't matter how new it is, if it aint looked after it will bite your arse. At the end of the day only you can decide, But newer isn't alway better IMO.

A gen 6 GT with 180k wouldn't put me off, I wish I knew before I bought the SR what I know now and got a GT, but I'm enjoying and looking after what I've got, just happy to be in a 6 :)

would the gt4 box fit straight in then with no mods needed? good idea about getting a engine build going,then its all ready to drop in.

does the fidanza fly wheel make any diffrence ?

i had a look on pistonheads yestoday as i do sometimes just to see whats about,and i saw a w reg gen 6! year 2000,didnt think they made them up to then,only had 52k on the clock,but it was bog standerd,would be a good project for someone i reakon.

Edited by looney

might be worth getting the flywheel then on the rebuild,i was thinking of the tein kit or bc,cos at the mo i have the kybs all round,but they have covered about 80k miles now,so im not sure how long they last,oil (vince noir) had them put on before i brought the car of him about 4 years ago now.

If your going to do suspension try and get all the components done at same time to save on labour.

Look at pollybushes as will improve the handling no end as more than likely the car will be on the originals and will be well past their best.

Also do the anti roll bar drop links and if you can find one a uprated anti roll bar will make a hell of a difference.

If you combined all that with a LSD equiped gearbox it would be a amazing transformation and as well as handling like a dream your future proofing the suspension and will be like new.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.