How to wire up an amp?

I presume you are not using standard front door speakers, as if they are by putting the on an amp may just blow them up.. However hopefully the info below will help.

you can get single amps that have separate channels.

you headunit should have preamp outputs some time single set (two connector) some time double (4 connectors), you can tell this by looking at the back of your head unit. you will have sets of outputs (1 red and 1 white = 1 channel) . one is left and one is right.

If you on;y have one set you can buy adaptors that plug onto the end of the phono cable to convert to run extra channels.

(apologies if it all seem unclear, will make more sense if you look at the back of the Headunit)

I totally understand what you've explained. But that is usually for subs though and to be used for monoblock amps?

So by adding a splitter I can turn 1 L&R phono output into 2 but then does that I mean I need 2 amps or is there such thing as an amp with 2 inputs?

Or is it better to have a single amp but with a 4 channel output for the front L&R and rear L&R but have a balance controll between the front and rear?

Does such amps exist?

To be able to fully control all speakers you need to have an output for each one from the head unit, these in turn can be plugged into a 4 channel amp or a pair of stereo amps. All balancing would then be controlled through the head unit.

it all depends on your head unit but ideally you want it to have two outputs(4 rca connectors) and a 4 channel amp, if your stereo only has one output you could get an equalizer such as this(cheap one) which will then give you three outputs and then lastly is the cheap splitter cables like this

there is always the option to use a standard 4 channel amp and make sure the one you buy has high level imputs on it. this way you dont have to worry about RCA/phono leads or any thing like that. some thing like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vibe-Slick-A1-4-3-2-Channel-Amplifier-Amp-800w-/360430357550?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item53eb52cc2e

thats justa quick ebay search and you maybe better off speaking to custom ice on here to see wha he can get for you.

or you can use a crossover,

1 rca in ,and 2 rca out,

it will boost the rca signal to the 4 way amp, and you can control whats comming out.

more money tho

get what you pay for as usuall

Edited by petest202

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.