Convertible Roof Frame Repair and Service

Having had the roof frame go ping on me just before putting away for the winter it's time now to think about the best option for repair.....

Phoned my local car trimmers who do hoods but not repairs to frames and they put me on to a guy called Adam at Cayman Autos in Dorking, Surrey who should be able to help.

Very helpful on the phone and arranged to pop over this afternoon so he can have a look.

The frames are cast so any welding has to be tig

I'll take a couple of pics of the problem later while i'm there as at the moment i'm reluctant to try and put the roof down

This seems to be a problem that a lot of places wont get involved with and will only suggest new frame so i will update this later.

Also, the rear window (glass) is needing rebonding on one side. The other roof people i phoned have told me its not possible to rebond but has to have a new glass fitted (which they have in stock) at a cost of £441 fitted :o

:nono: now if they can bond a new piece of glass in, how come they cant bond a perfectly good one that's already there? This i will be doing myself methinks

Edited by arizona

£441!!!

Does tht include vat?

I was thinking of replacing my roof for that money (gen4)!

Aw..u hav a glass window (i only got a plastic sheet...)

Someone here mentioned a good roof place in bristol...mite be worth getting a 2md opinion?

£441!!!

Does tht include vat?

I was thinking of replacing my roof for that money (gen4)!

Aw..u hav a glass window (i only got a plastic sheet...)

Someone here mentioned a good roof place in bristol...mite be worth getting a 2md opinion?

Bristol would cost me a good amount in petrol :D , no i'm not getting anymore quotes on that part. Pretty sure i can do it after googling for some tips :) If is successful i'll put a 'how to' on here

Bristol would cost me a good amount in petrol :D , no i'm not getting anymore quotes on that part. Pretty sure i can do it after googling for some tips :) If is successful i'll put a 'how to' on here

yes do!

The amount of times i search for 'how tos....' is soooooo much easier - am sure gen5/6s will find it useful!

PS: nice pics of ur trip to wales...i must visit ther sometme too!

Edited by chan110

Little update

Some very nice cars over there, small independent garage and a couple of other convertibles in the workshop

Very nice chap, had a good look at it and yep as Adex said it could be drilled and bolted but would be better welded as there is also a another fixing which moves to save the roof from catching

Carefulness needed to cover everything up well to make sure hood and seats not damaged from stray weld and it is tig welding as thought as is cast

So the price to do it plus give the roof a service quoted 3 hours at the outside and its £180-£200

Pretty much what i was expecting and was nice to find someone who doesnt shake their head and suck in air as they say 'hmmm need another frame really....'

Adam's response was 'yep, that's no problem'

Cool :)

Oh and yes i did forget to take pics :sofa:

Edited by arizona

Good to kno it can b fixed and we hav another personal recommendation for roof repairs! :-)

no pics - gasp in shock!

How abt pics of the before/after repair?

There will be those :D just now though am on my own so i dont want to put it down to take pics as it needs a brave person to stick their hand in it and hold it together as it goes back up :o

Yeah, that won't be me next time either!

I've gotten quite attached to my hands, you know... :lol:

You did look a bit pale when i was pushing that motor button :lol:

Booked in for Friday midday :D

Glad your is getting sorted I think my window may need re-bonding

From my first post.....

Also, the rear window (glass) is needing rebonding on one side. The other roof people i phoned have told me its not possible to rebond but has to have a new glass fitted (which they have in stock) at a cost of £441 fitted :o

:nono: now if they can bond a new piece of glass in, how come they cant bond a perfectly good one that's already there?

So be interested to hear if you get a different response from your local ones, have you rung anyone yet?

All done :)

Dropped it off at midday and went for a wander round Dorking town centre

Got a call at half two to say it was done. Didnt manage to get before pics as when i got there another car was being finished so left it parked outside and dropped in keys.

This is probably a common place for them to break

IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0402.jpg

but all done and rest greased and checked over, the fixing by the windscreen got adjusted too as had always had to hold it back out the way when starting to open roof. He also took a look at the rear quarter window and got that running a bit easier as had gone a bit slow. The one the other side has never worked but i have just recieved a couple of motors from a guy breaking one on ebay.

His comment was that its been very well looked after in the past and couldnt find anything that would cause a problem (Frodo :thumbs: )

The next job is this

IMAG0403.jpg

IMAG0404.jpg

IMAG0405.jpg

but i got some of this while i was out

IMAG0407.jpg

waiting for a bit of steady good weather before i do this though

Oh and the bill today, quote was £180/£200

but it was £144 including the vat :)

Luv those pics - ta! :thumbs:

I wonder if your mechanism is the same as my Gen4? I will compare your pics with mine sometime.

Price is very reasonable!

Hmmm, Dorking huh - just checked on google map - too far for me to travel from Yorkshire :(

Edited by chan110

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.