Engine swap - legal stuff and cat

Hi,

Swapping out my engine in a couple of weeks time.

With regards to informing dvla and insurance I'm guessing it needs to be done..

What I'm interested in is that the engine is pre 92 whereas my car is on a K plate. Will I still need a cat?...

Cheers,

I think rich [ rpsmith ] was on about this a while back something to do with proving the year of the engine .

92 on was a cat anything befor you can get away with out a cat but as your car is 92 i would get advice from a test station the 1 you use would be best :)

As from the thread Rich linked to, it's dependant on the engine and whether the engine left the factory with a cat fitted, if it did and the tester knows this it'll have to pass the cat test

If it didn't but the tester thinks it did then the responsibility is on you to prove it never had a cat

We do a lot of this on PNG.

As said, its the older of the two - engine or car - which decides what emissions test the car has to go through. Its up to the vehicle presenter to prove the age of each if required (obviously for the car its easy due to V5/reg information, but proving engine age may be harder - do you have the donor car? You could use the V5 from that, i.e. matching up the engine numbers as proof). Or you could try for the 'custom build' emissions option depending on vehicle age.

For the DVLA and insurance thing, certainly does need doing - its an offence to have incorrect information on the V5, let alone the insurance angle. To register the swap I'd strongly recommend visiting your local office in person as it saves all the hassle and time taken to do it via post. You will need evidence of the change (independent inspection, letter from the manufacturer, receipt of fitment, etc), plus all the documents to get tax if you're changing tax class. DVLA may not ask for evidence, but they're supposed to especially if you're changing taxation classes. Plus insurance may want some inspection report or proof of change so best to get it done.

I had no hassle at my local DVLA office (Exeter) when I logged the 3.0 in the Nova.

That's brilliant. Thanks for all the info. I will get it all sorted.

Mine was registered on the 1st January 1993.... According to my V5 :(

I won't have the other vehicle V5 so it looks like I will be stuck with a cat. I didn't know if it could e done via the engine number.

Ah well. Bang goes that idea :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.