Spacers - Just a question based on interest

Nev

I have always thought that wheels on cars are suppost to be aligned i.e front wheels in line with the rear wheels.

Lately I have started to think of what would happen if the rear wheels were pushed out further than the front and vice-versa. I have no idea.

I'm sure people have tried this. Does anyone know the benefits or drawbacks with each?

I guess it would be similar to having wider wheels on the back of the car giving more grip.

short version.. it depends a lot on the car/chassis/suspension but as a rule if you go to a wider track on the rear of a fwd car it will promote understeer ,if you make the track wider on the front while leaving the rear as standard it can make the steering very pointy ie initial turn in will be sharper but again this is relevant to castor/camber angles .most of the above is relative to how severe a change you make to the track and how wide the wheels are above standard , also the profile of the tyres can make a large difference to the handling of a vehicle ,tyres are an integral component of the suspension ,too low a profile =harsher ride, and less sidewall deflection can induce oversteer or understeer depending on the chassis setup and tyre pressures..

If you're good enough to be able to spot the difference in the handling, you dont need to ask the question as you already know the answer :D

Ill be honest, i have 27mm spacers on the back of mine & none on the front (13mm spacers not fitted yet) and i couldnt tell the difference for everyday driving. I know most Merc's have much wider wheels on the back than the do on the front, albeit they are mostly rear wheel drive.

Ill be honest, i have 27mm spacers on the back of mine & none on the front (13mm spacers not fitted yet) and i couldnt tell the difference for everyday driving. I know most Merc's have much wider wheels on the back than the do on the front, albeit they are mostly rear wheel drive.

I thought your wheels looked further out in the G7 pics thread! Nice work matey, they look sweet ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.