Swapped the HIDs for Osram Nightbreakers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i went for a brief night drive last night, and gotta say that the Osrams seemed to light up the road (near and far) a lot better than the HIDs did.

Ok, so they beam isn't as white and 'cool looking', but I can't really fault the amount of the road and surroundings that they illuminate.

I didn't hit any un-lit roads to explore their full potential, but it was late and roads still a bit icy, so didn't want to head too far from home.

I live in a relatively rural part of the UK and have to say I've never had anything other than standard bulbs, or felt the need to change. Its just one of those things I don't get.

I do find it incredibly selfish that loads of cars these days drive around with unaligned ridiculously bright bulbs which seem to blind you as you're going round an unlit corner, so from personal experience the whole 'blinding people is cool' point of view just screams tosser to me I'm afraid, not that I'm suggesting anyone has so far but I know plenty of people who don't consider other drivers at all (which includes everyone except the person saying it).

I don't even think I use full beam that often. Maybe I've just got better night vision that you lot :P

i don't think anyone sets out to think 'blinding people is cool'.

Ignorance is probably their main issue.

I dunno... maybe it is different in rural Wales, where there is next-to-no light pollution, and you could light up a field with a AAA battery powered torch :lol:

But seriously, why wouldn't you want to get the maximum visibility possible? Surely that's your biggest weapon for safe nighttime driving?

Most things that come standard on a car are the cheapest possible option. There are more powerful road legal bulbs available, so why not upgrade?

Here, it's hard to illuminate a road properly, and get a good field of vision with the standard bulbs. If there's a bulb out there that can give a more powerful beam without breaking the law, then what's wrong with trying to see more of the surroundings? :)

Why don't you use full beam? It's there... use it for your advantage.

When I used to drive through the Lake District at night, I'd always have my main beams on until I saw a car coming.... they light up the whole environment sooo much better than the dipped beam, and help you better spot ay hazards well before they pose a threat to you.

Maybe I'm just more keen to be aware of my surroundings? :P;)

For the most part the roads around here aren't long enough to a) require distance illumination, B) know if someones going to whiz round a corner - its a busy place despite not being that populated (and I mean the english border area of wales not the 'valleys' :P) and you constant find yourself concentrating on turning main beam on and off which distracts from the driving.

I always find that if I have a low beam I can see fine yet I can see the beam of an oncoming driver, should I be on a single lane road with hedges so I can take appropriate action.

Also, bright lights attract rabbits into the beam and stuff, wouldn't want a messed up bumper ;)

also chaps its worthwhile getting 4300K bulbs if 6k are notbright enough. I changed mine and noticed a huge difference- 4300K definately has the best light output and doesnt look as yellow as nightbreakers.

What i do is have a set of 6k and 4.3k bulbs and use the 4.3k in winter and the 6k in summer. 6k definately look better especially since ive the gtr headlights so the LED's are pure white as well as the halos so running 4.3k looks considerably more yellow so 6k looks ideal.

For people running the standard headlights, I dont see why 4.3k would be an issue- after about 20 hours of use the get whiter and whiter

the reason for up grading to the nightbreakers in the 5`s is that they are notorious for having poor lighting putting the osrams in just brings it up to what you could almost call standard on most cars now and i would prefer not to hit someone walking down the road because i couldnt see them properly

the reason for up grading to the nightbreakers in the 5`s is that they are notorious for having poor lighting putting the osrams in just brings it up to what you could almost call standard on most cars now and i would prefer not to hit someone walking down the road because i couldnt see them properly

Thats the thing though, I had a 5 and never had an issue. Oh well. I did get ambushed by a cat once though, came from nowhere and just saw it out of the corner of my eye so not light related. Front bumper usefully 'popped' back into shape with little persuasion though which was useful.

Edit: look at the yellowy goodness of them:

IMG_0783.jpg

Edited by badj

seems alot of people are confused about the whole mot fail thing,i believe someone posted up the rules and regs on here a few times,saying they had to be self leveling or be able to adjust them,have washers for the lights,which the gen 6 has both them things,i dont know anyone as yet who has been failed for having hids,so i wont be changeing anytime soon,seein as most new cars have them now

seems alot of people are confused about the whole mot fail thing,i believe someone posted up the rules and regs on here a few times,saying they had to be self leveling or be able to adjust them,have washers for the lights,which the gen 6 has both them things,i dont know anyone as yet who has been failed for having hids,so i wont be changeing anytime soon,seein as most new cars have them now

gen 6 ones arent self levelling though..there manual.

I've had nightbreakers plus for a few months now. Unless it's the placebo effect, I think they are a bit better and conisdering they aren't any more expensive than Halford bults, I'd get them again. Fingers crossed the lifetime is good. I had a friend drive in front of me in convoy at night and afterwards, she told me my headlights looked really bright (without me asking) so I guess they are brighter!

the rules will be getting more strict this year... pretty sure they're gonna be clamping down on the HIDs, and seeing as the 7's don't have headlight washers or auto-levelling, i don't even want to risk a fail.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.